[comp.sys.zenith.z100] Z-217 problems

mlewis@unocss.UUCP (Marcus S. Lewis) (05/12/89)

HHELLPP! I have a Z-217 board in an OLD H-110 that runs incredibly hot.
As the room temp reaches >70 degrees, I begin to lose the hard disk.
The hot spot(s) appears to be the three 2901 chips on the right side.
Can these be replaced with CMOS chips and run cooler?  I have seen a
lot of commentary about reducing the noise from the fan - how do you
increase the cooling capacity?  I have a desk fan that blows into the
tiny vents on that side of the box.  Beyond 85 degrees, even this isn't
going to work.  The only other cards in the cage are the Z-207 board and
an old rev UCI RAM board with 512K on it.
While I'm on the subject, what drives can I just "plug and go" on this
controller?  I have a Miniscribe 12 MB drive that I spend half my time
deleting from and half the rest compressing stuff.

GUBBINS@TOPS20.RADC.AF.MIL (Gern) (05/16/89)

The Z-217 runs HOT!   It is well known to have heat problems.  Without
playing with the board by swapping known good chips, you are shooting in the
dark.  Those ICs always run hot to touch.   It could also be a heat problem
on the data separator board.

>ANY< MFM harddisk up to 90MBytes will work with the Z-217.   Basically
if it is not RLL and works in an IBM, it will work with the Z-217.   You
can use a RLL rated drive, but the Z-217 will revert it to an MFM drive.

Gern
-------

In article <799@unocss.UUCP> mlewis@unocss.UUCP (Marcus S. Lewis) writes:
>While I'm on the subject, what drives can I just "plug and go" on this
>controller?  I have a Miniscribe 12 MB drive that I spend half my time
>deleting from and half the rest compressing stuff.

I'm not at home (where my trusty 100 is), so I'm not sure if I have
the same controller (it's the stock controller circa 85 or 86).  However,
I did replace the factory 10 meg disk with a Seagate 4038.  The only
tricks were:
	1)  The drive came out of the box jumpered as drive 1, not
		drive 0 (this took a while to discover).
	2)  I had to run PREP with the /K switch, even though the
		drive was *supposed* to be < 32 meg.
	3)  I had to specify the drive parameters when running
		PREP.  I *believe* that these came with the drive.
		Most manufactures will provide them if you call.
Other than that, it's worked fine.  Faster than blazes, as this is
an 'AT' drive with 28 ms access time.

Glad to see that there are still 100 users out there!!!

Mark Urban-Lurain
urban@cpswh.cps.msu.edu