[comp.sys.zenith.z100] ZComm for Z-100

alpope@token.Sun.COM (Alan Pope) (05/18/89)

Last year I fetched a comm program off of the Clarkson bulletin board
taht was called ZComm.  This looked like a promising package but had
some bugs and several unimplemented features.  The man pages had a
phone number where to call the author but I had no luck.  Anyone
know of a more recent copy of this package?  where the author is these
days?  or where I could get hold of the source code? (I'll finish it up
myself if I can get the source).  Much thanks!
						Alan L. Pope
						alpope@sun.com

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (05/19/89)

In article <105355@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> alpope@token.Sun.COM (Alan Pope) writes:
:
:Last year I fetched a comm program off of the Clarkson bulletin board
:taht was called ZComm.  This looked like a promising package but had
:some bugs and several unimplemented features.  The man pages had a
:phone number where to call the author but I had no luck.  Anyone
:know of a more recent copy of this package?  where the author is these
:days?  or where I could get hold of the source code? (I'll finish it up
:myself if I can get the source).  Much thanks!
:						Alan L. Pope
:						alpope@sun.com

ZCOMM is a powerful shareware comms program for PCDOS machines
developed by Omen Technology INC.

Unfortunately, no Z-100 flavor of ZCOMM exists.  IBM's poor
BIOS/DOS design forces ZCOMM (and most PC comms programs)
to access hardware directly, precluding operation on
semi-compatible machines.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF

alpope@token.Sun.COM (Alan Pope) (05/19/89)

I'm leaving this whole message intact so that any potential confusion from
my earlier message, does not reflect on Omen Technology Inc products!

In article <767@omen.UUCP>, caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
> In article <105355@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> alpope@token.Sun.COM (Alan Pope) writes:
> :
> :Last year I fetched a comm program off of the Clarkson bulletin board
> :taht was called ZComm.  This looked like a promising package but had
> :some bugs and several unimplemented features.  The man pages had a
> :phone number where to call the author but I had no luck.  Anyone
> :know of a more recent copy of this package?  where the author is these
> :days?  or where I could get hold of the source code? (I'll finish it up
> :myself if I can get the source).  Much thanks!
> :						Alan L. Pope
> :						alpope@sun.com
>
> ZCOMM is a powerful shareware comms program for PCDOS machines
> developed by Omen Technology INC.
>
> Unfortunately, no Z-100 flavor of ZCOMM exists.  IBM's poor
> BIOS/DOS design forces ZCOMM (and most PC comms programs)
> to access hardware directly, precluding operation on
> semi-compatible machines.
>
> Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
> Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
>   Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
> 17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
> TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF

Yeah, a lot of my friends like your products.  That is why I found
this other Zcomm on a z100 bulletin board.  The name caught my
attention immediately.  However, on obtaining it, it was immediately
apparent that this was not yours (I've seen yours).  This was something
that appeared to have been done by a student.  Since the z100 is often
refered to as a "z machine" and since he wrote a comm program, it is easy
to see his mistake.

Anyway, this software was promising (for z100's) even though the manual
was out of synch with the features, some features were not implemented,
and the program occassionally dropped me right out to the DOS prompt
in the middle of soem transaction.  HOWEVER, despite all this I was
hoping someone could put me in touch with him.  He may have a newer
version (probably under a different name ;-).  Or perhaps he could
be persuaded to allow me to take over maintenance, bug-fixes, whatever.

(Boy, since Chuck doesn't support z100`s he must do some massive greps
for keywords to have stumbled across this far corner.  Think of the
CPU cycles.)  Since he'll probably find this message I might as well
say THANKS.  I don't know him personally but by reputation.  He has
probably done more for PC communication than just about anyone,
particularly in the way of error checking/correcting protocols.
						Alan L. Pope
						alpope@sun.com

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (05/22/89)

In article <105848@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> alpope@token.Sun.COM (Alan Pope) writes:
:(Boy, since Chuck doesn't support z100`s he must do some massive greps
:for keywords to have stumbled across this far corner.  Think of the
Um, yes.  Takes about 20 minutes.  I'm thinking of hacking Gilmore's
tar and an egrep together to reduce that by 80 per cent or so
:CPU cycles.)  Since he'll probably find this message I might as well
:say THANKS.  I don't know him personally but by reputation.  He has
:probably done more for PC communication than just about anyone,
:particularly in the way of error checking/correcting protocols.
:						Alan L. Pope
:						alpope@sun.com
Thank you very much.