[comp.sys.zenith.z100] z100 tape backup

malpass@VLSI.LL.MIT.EDU (Don Malpass) (06/27/89)

Did the person who requested info on same in late May receive any
replies?  And if a hardware system is NOT available, is there some
faster and more robust backup-to-floppy system software than the
H/Z BACKUP program?  I keep hoping zoo will be provided with the
ability to deal with multiple disks.
	don

In article <8906261808.AA06098@ll-vlsi.arpa> malpass@VLSI.LL.MIT.EDU (Don Malpass) writes:
>Did the person who requested info on same in late May receive any
>replies?  And if a hardware system is NOT available, is there some
>faster and more robust backup-to-floppy system software than the
>H/Z BACKUP program?  I keep hoping zoo will be provided with the
>ability to deal with multiple disks.
>	don

That was me and no, I did not receive any replies.

I am currently using FASTBACK PLUS (tm), under ZPC, as described
by Pat Swayne in an article in REMark a few months ago.  It requires
that you preformat the disks and configure FASTBACK to backup to
a drive/path, instead of using DMA as it does on a "real" clone.
It works fine, faster than DOS backup, more robust, and you can
select to backup as fast as possible to save time, or to compress
files, to save disks.  I have moved files between the z-100
and a z-159, which uses fastback in DMA mode, this way with no
problems.

I tried the Colorado Memory Systems JUMBO tape backup, which
connects to a floppy controller in place of a disk drive.  The
hardware seemed to respond (heads moved, lights came on) but
the software just laughed in my face.  The folks at CMS were
polite, but not much help.

I'd settle for a tape drive that I could address as a floppy
and use FASTBACK to/from it, just to save the lousy disk
swapping.  Any one have any suggestions??????

Thanks, Mark

Mark Urban-Lurain                        urban@cpswh.cps.msu.edu
Computer Science Dept.                   urbanluraimg@clvax1.cl.msu.edu
Michigan State University
A-714 Wells Hall                         (517) 353-0682   office
East Lansing, MI     48824               (517) 355-5210   department