[comp.sys.zenith.z100] want LOTUS 123 and WordStar

mac@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Myron A. Calhoun) (08/21/89)

My wife recently purchased several Z-100's from Clarkson University to
use at a camp for handicapped youth, and we were both very surprised
to find that NO word processing software came with any of them.
(Just what did those university students DO with their machines
 if they didn't use word processing for term papers, etc.?)

Anyway, does anyone know where WordStar might still be obtained?  We
checked with Payload Computer Services, from whom Mailmerge is still
available, but first she needs WordStar!  (Incidentally, we already
have WS on another Z-100, but she is looking for LEGAL copies!)

In addition, although MULTIPLAN came with the machines, she would also
like to find a source for LOTUS 123 for the Z-100.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--Myron
--
Myron A. Calhoun, PhD EE, W0PBV, (913) 532-6350 (work), 539-4448 (home).
INTERNET: mac@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu

GUBBINS@TOPS20.RADC.AF.MIL (Gern) (08/22/89)

Clarkson students mostly used a Clarkson written (and owned by) Word
Processor called Galahad.  If my facts are straight, it was orginally
written by Russ Nelson of Painter's Apprentice and Freemacs fame for
IMSAI 8080A under the Northstar (not-so-much-of-a) operating system.  It
was then coverted to run under CP/M-85 when the Z-100s came by Dr. Bray,
then converted to Z-DOS thru a 8085-to-8086 translator from another class
project.  Russ returned to Clarkson as a Staff member and cleaned it up.
Since the beginning, there has been a new, revised, and improved version
of Galahad about every 2 months (-:.   Lancelot is the companion spell
checker.   Clarkson offered in the past this package for $49, I don't know
if the offer is still good.   Galahad is now converted to and running on
the Z-248s that all students will now have this year at Clarkson.

The Word Processor I recommend is WatchWord V3.x from S&K Technology.
It is relatively easy to use, VERY powerful if you read the manual and
use it to the max (I haven't yet... (-: ) is available both for the Z-100
MS-DOS and PC/EGA systems and is about $100.   Check out REMark magazine
for lastest info.  I believe S&K offers a demo version disk for $5.00.

If you have your heart set on WordStar for whatever self-inflicted painful
reasons you have, REMark/Pat Swayne released a WordStar V4.x to Z-100
converter patch/info that is available by anonymous FTP on SIMTEL20
in PD1:<HZ100>WS4Z100.ARC.

Cheers,
Gern
-------

In article <12520170067.15.GUBBINS@TOPS20.RADC.AF.MIL> GUBBINS@TOPS20.RADC.AF.MIL (Gern) writes:

>The Word Processor I recommend is WatchWord V3.x from S&K Technology.
>It is relatively easy to use, VERY powerful if you read the manual and
>use it to the max (I haven't yet... (-: ) is available both for the Z-100
>MS-DOS and PC/EGA systems and is about $100.   Check out REMark magazine
>for lastest info.  I believe S&K offers a demo version disk for $5.00.

I agree.  I've been using WW for several years on my 100.  Got the boss
to buy the PC version for me to use on my Z-159 at work (it isn't as
good on the PC as it is on the 100, but it is still better than most).
It is an incredibly powerful editor.  Reads/writes anything (I've even
used it as a debugger on .EXE files).  Will use as much memory as you
have available and has a virtual memory mode,  for those really big
files (I did finally choke it on a 4+meg database file I was trying
to patch).  Nice macro definition ability.  And it is FAST.

The spell checker is a 'check as you type' type, which is real nice,
although the dictionary isn't very big.  However, you can add your
own aux  dictionaries.

I believe that WordPerfect was (is?) available for the 100 at least
thru ver 4.x.  I have run the PC version 5.x on my 100 under ZPC
with no problem.

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with S&K Tech, just a very happy customer.

Mark Urban-Lurain                        urban@cpswh.cps.msu.edu
Computer Science Dept.                   urbanluraimg@clvax1.cl.msu.edu
Michigan State University
A-714 Wells Hall                         (517) 353-0682   office
East Lansing, MI     48824               (517) 355-5210   department