[comp.sys.zenith.z100] C compiler.

burk@trwind.ind.TRW.COM (Gerry Burk) (03/03/88)

	I've been assigned a rush project (6 weeks) of getting
a Z100/Z120 up with the latest and greatest software/hardware
environment and to port some software written in C to it.

The present environment I have is the original Z100 with two floppys
and 192k on the motherboard.  The Z120 should be coming this week
and the only difference I've been told is that it has a hard disk.
What I need is to get the latest DOS for it, (I've been told there
is a 3.1 for it) and a C compiler that works with it. I've been
told there are a few around such as the AZTEC C, C86 and Datalite
C but I don't know who supplies these and from who to order it
from.  The C we've been using has been Microsoft C v4.0 and I would
like to get one that is as close as possibble to that one, (I've
been told that one does not exist for the Z-100, can anyone confirm
that ??).  Or does anyone know about about a C cross compiler that I
can run on a Z-248 or similar system ?

Another item I need help in is locating RAM boards for these systems.
I need some help pointing me to a dealer who can provide them
quickly.

The last point is that my company would be willing to hire someone
who has a Z-100 environment set up already (DOS 3.1/C) to help
port the software over, set us up and to just answer questions
since the manuals I have and support is minimum.

Please reply via postings to this news group, directly to me
or call me at 213-373-9161 x339 or have me page.  Are need is
immediate and all help is welcome.

dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Dave Goldblatt) (03/04/88)

Your biggest problem is memory.  Microsoft C 4.0 and 5.0 both run on
a '100, as does Turbo C 1.0 and 1.5; the IBM-specific functions will
NOT work, however.  You'll need lots of memory for both, and lots of
storage for MSC.  (Turbo really requires 2 floppies, MSC requires a
hard disk drive, unless you get _really_ creative)

As for people porting software, Clarkson has quite a few '100s -- every
member of the junior and senior classes owns one (later years have 248s).
If you send me the details, I can pass them on to those who might be
interested, but no guarantees.

As for memory, FBE Associates (?) has a ram upgrade available which seems
to be highly recommended.  Look in Sextant or REMark for them and other
dealers..

-dg-

Internet: dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu
BITNET:   dave@CLUTX.Bitnet
uucp:     {rpics, gould}!clutx!dave
Matrix:   Dave Goldblatt @ 1:260/360

Disclaimer: I have no association with FBE, Zenith, Microsoft, Borland,
            the New York Mets, the New York Islanders, Rush, or anyone
            else.  Too bad, huh? :-)

tsl@netsys.UUCP (Tom Livingston) (03/05/88)

In article <304@trwind.ind.TRW.COM> burk@trwind.UUCP (Gerry Burk) writes:
>The present environment I have is the original Z100 with two floppys
>and 192k on the motherboard.  The Z120 should be coming this week
>and the only difference I've been told is that it has a hard disk.

	Well, there are some differences that you'll see (mainly, there
is no stright Z-100's...  the Z-110 and Z-120 both came out at the same
time, the only differences was that one was an all-in-one, and the other
is a desktop model.  A hard disk was an option...)  Anyway, the first thing
you should do is contact FBE research or another company that offers one,
and order a ram upgrade (address at the bottom).  192k is very little today,
and since it can handle up to 768k addressable, you may as well have it.
I'm not even sure if many compilers will get much work done in 192k.

>What I need is to get the latest DOS for it, (I've been told there
>is a 3.1 for it) and a C compiler that works with it. I've been

	Yup, MS-DOS 3.1 exists, and you should still be able to order it
from Zenith, or at least a company that supports the Z-100 (First Capitol,
etc.).  3.1 adds some nice feat ures (from 2.13) and should definately
be used...

>told there are a few around such as the AZTEC C, C86 and Datalite
>C but I don't know who supplies these and from who to order it
>from.  The C we've been using has been Microsoft C v4.0 and I would
>like to get one that is as close as possibble to that one, (I've
>been told that one does not exist for the Z-100, can anyone confirm
>that ??).  Or does anyone know about about a C cross compiler that I
>can run on a Z-248 or similar system ?

	Most C compilers will generate DOS code if your not doing anything
tricky (machine dependant).  I've used Microsoft C 3.0 pretty much on
the Z-100, and have since switched to Turbo C.  Both will compile 'normal'
programs, and Turbo C and Microsoft both do well porting UNIX programs...
What are you porting?  That would help alot in this question...

>Another item I need help in is locating RAM boards for these systems.
>I need some help pointing me to a dealer who can provide them
>quickly.

	If FBE can't, First Capitol will probably UPS-Blue or even Red any
order.  You could have it in very few days...

>The last point is that my company would be willing to hire someone
>who has a Z-100 environment set up already (DOS 3.1/C) to help
>port the software over, set us up and to just answer questions
>since the manuals I have and support is minimum.

	What kind of information do you need?  Many times people will
give it out for free, or over the net.  I might be able to answer some of
your questions, but I'm not really a Z-100 guru.

>Please reply via postings to this news group, directly to me
>or call me at 213-373-9161 x339 or have me page.  Are need is
>immediate and all help is welcome.

FBE Research:
		ZMF100a - Modification Package allows installation of
		256k ram chips (Three banks of 256k = 768k -TL) in older
		Z-100's without soldering.  Works only with old style
		motherboard.  $65

		FBE Research Company, Inc.
		PO Box 68234
		Seattle, WA 98168
		+1 206 246 9815

Payload Computer:
		Payload Computer Services
		15718 Sylvan Lake
		Houston, Texas 77062
		+1 713 486 0687
		(advertises FBE upgrade for $60 bare, or $148.50 with
		 27 256k chips)

First Capitol:
		First Capitol Computer
		1106 First Capitol Dr.
		St. Charles, MO 63301
		+1 800 TO BUY IT (+1 800 862 8948) (order)
		+1 314 724 2336 (tech support/order status)

   ( I have no affiliation with any of the companies or products that
I've mentioned, except that I've either used them, or they were in the
magazine I picked up -TL)

                                                _____________
                                                  /
                                               --/ __ _______
                                              (_/ (_) / / / <_ Livingston
                                              { decuac,ihnp4 }!netsys!tsl
					      +1 301 292 7038 (Home)

malpass@LL-VLSI.ARPA (Don Malpass) (03/08/88)

You probably don't need new choices, but the DeSmet C compiler is
another candidate for Z-100 use.  It didn't used to be as K&R
compatible as some of the more recent ones, but a lot of code for
Z-100's has been written with it.  I don't have an address or phone
number here at work, but I'd assume any recent issue of Byte, etc
would provide the necessary pointer.

McGuffey@DOCKMASTER.ARPA ("MAJ DAVID C. MCGUFFEY") (03/08/88)

I'm running the Ecosoft C Compiler, version 4.0 (modelling compiler).
It appears to be very K&R compatible, and each function is annotated
with a comment as to whether or not it is System V compatible.  There is
a Z-100 graphics library that you can order also--requires ANSI.SYS (or
ZANSI.SYS).  I ran their test program using the Z-100 graphics and was
impressed.  The small version is $59.95 and the modelling version is
$99.95--it would be a good low risk investment to see if it provides
what you want.

I have no association with Ecosoft.

jrv@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (James R. Van Zandt) (03/15/88)

Don Malpass suggested the DeSmet C compiler.  I second the suggestion -
the entire software development package (editor, compiler, linkage editor,
library) and source code and object code will all fit into my 500K
ramdisk.  Try that with MSC!

The DeSmet compiler comes from:  CWare, P.O. Box 1570, Paso Robles CA 93447.
I don't have their current phone number, but when they were in Sunnyvale
it was 408-720-9696.

                             - Jim Van Zandt

davism@pyr.gatech.EDU (Martin H. Davis, Jr.) (10/03/89)

This has probably been asked previously, so my apologies.

What C compilers for the Z-100 are available for $100?  Are there any for
under $100 that work under ZPC (and do they need to be patched)?  I am
talking about currently available, purchasable products.

Thanks.

--Martin H. Davis, Jr.