[comp.sys.zenith.z100] Linking 2 PCs

malpass@vlsi.ll.mit.edu (Don Malpass) (12/01/89)

In article <140@csucis.UUCP> mlc@csucis.UUCP (Cipalla Mike) writes:
>The program that you need is called LAPLINK PLUS it will allow you to use
>another computers drives from your machine through a cable. It works at
>115,000 baud and on Model 70's should be very fast. You can also set it up
>to use the floppy drives as well. Great program for copying programs for a
>3 1/2" machine to a 5 1/4" machine when you don't have a machine with both
>disk types.

I've been trying to find something which does this between my Z-100
(generic MS-DOS - not PC-DOS) and an IBM-Contemptible; specifically my
recently acquired Zenith 286 Laptop.  Simtel's modem programs don't
seem to like the Z-100, presumably because they make direct bios
calls.  Kermit [ S L O W ] can be made to work, and I assume the Z-100
version of Procom with PC-Procom in the Laptop would work, but even
with the PC Emulator running in the Z-100 I can't get anything really
efficient to run.  The Laptop comes with ZCOM which must be similar to
LAPLINK (which I do NOT have), but I can't make ZCOM behave in the -100.
Kermit is my last resort, but has anybody actually made one of the
better things run on a -100?  And am I correct in thinking LAPLINK is
not PD?  I don't need it unless it will play on the -100.  Can anybody
check whether its documentation makes a distinction between PCDOS and
MSDOS and/or whether it says it won't work with non-compatibles?
--
Don Malpass   [malpass@LL-vlsi.arpa],  [malpass@gandalf.LL.mit.edu]
   ... A concerned and somewhat ashamed member of the only species

In article <409@vlsi.ll.mit.edu> malpass@ll-vlsi.arpa.UUCP (Don Malpass) writes:
> Kermit [ S L O W ] can be made to work, and I assume the Z-100
>version of Procom with PC-Procom in the Laptop would work, but even
>with the PC Emulator running in the Z-100 I can't get anything really
>efficient to run.  The Laptop comes with ZCOM which must be similar to
>LAPLINK (which I do NOT have), but I can't make ZCOM behave in the -100.
>Kermit is my last resort, but has anybody actually made one of the
>better things run on a -100?  And am I correct in thinking LAPLINK is
>not PD?

Kermit is probably your best bet, unless you have dos 3.x on your 100
and it has ZCOM.  LAPLINK will NOT work on the 100.  Most communications
software talks to hardware and won't run on the 100, even under
pc eumlation with zpc.
`

I use KERMIT at 9600 baud between my 100 and z183.  Slow, but it works.

Mark Urban-Lurain                        urban@cpswh.cps.msu.edu
Computer Science Dept.                   urbanluraimg@clvax1.cl.msu.edu
Michigan State University
A-714 Wells Hall                         (517) 353-0682   office
East Lansing, MI     48824               (517) 355-5210   department

bjones@ssc-vax.UUCP (Robert F. Jones) (12/07/89)

In article <5667@cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
> In article <409@vlsi.ll.mit.edu> malpass@ll-vlsi.arpa.UUCP (Don Malpass) writes:
> > Kermit [ S L O W ] can be made to work, and I assume the Z-100
> >version of Procom with PC-Procom in the Laptop would work, but even
> >with the PC Emulator running in the Z-100 I can't get anything really
> >efficient to run.
> Kermit is probably your best bet, unless you have dos 3.x on your 100
> and it has ZCOM.  LAPLINK will NOT work on the 100.  Most communications
> software talks to hardware and won't run on the 100, even under
> pc eumlation with zpc.
>
> I use KERMIT at 9600 baud between my 100 and z183.  Slow, but it works.

I have succesfully hooked up my old H-100 to a Z-183 using procom on
the 183 and a terminal software package call BESTERM on the 100.
Both supported XMODEM transfers.  Also, I have BBS software that
will run on the old 100 (under MS-DOS), which similar results can be
made.  I seem to recall 9600 bps was ok, but 19.2 only worked in one
direction (not both).  Both of these solutions run on the H-100
under it's normal MS-DOS (version 2.x or 3.x), and can work with
only 3 x 64Kbytes of memory installed.

.....rfj.....

shermaja@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU ("Jesse A. Sherman") (12/09/89)

I also have connected a Z-181 to my Z-100 through the serial port.
I used Binkley and got file tansfers of 9600 baud using Zmodem.
Of course, to run Zmodem properly on the '100 you have to use a
RAM disk.  I tried it from a floppy and it bombed.
     I got one file to transfer at 19200, but then it would not work
again.  Must be too fast for the '181 :-)

leno%v70a.decnet@NUSC-NPT.NAVY.MIL ("V70A::LENO") (12/10/89)

>  I got one file to transfer at 19200, but then it would not work
>again.  Must be too fast for the '181 :-)
   According to the specs for the serial chip in our Z100s,
  (I know, specs mean nothing) we should be able to get as
  much as 38400bd out of it, we may have to get the machine
  running at >10Mhz but it supposedly can do it.
      peace,
         Scott

ahd@kendra.wf.ags.com (Drew Derbyshire) (12/11/89)

As much as 38400k ...

Sure the chip can run at 38400k ... but that assumes no overhead
for the operating system.  IBM-PC Kermit (not to be confused with
Z-100 Kermit) can do transfers at up to 115Kb, but it intercepts the
interrupts.  Its difficult to rewrite the Z-100 routines for mere
4 fold improvement when you can transfer an entire hard disk with one
command (Kermit has an associated program to send directories), and most
Z-100's don't even have a hard disk.

Unless, Scott, YOU want to.  :-)

Drew
--
Drew Derbyshire

Internet:       ahd@clutx.clarkson.edu     U.S. Mail: 108 Decatur St, Apt 9
UUCP:           kendra!ahd@garp.mit.edu               Arlington, MA 02174
                                           Telephone: 617-641-3739

GUBBINS@TOPS20.RADC.AF.MIL (Gern) (12/11/89)

So what's the problem of running a Z-100 at >10MHz?   They can run very nicely
at 10.7MHz.   Standard new motherboard with ZDS factory 256K DRAM 8MHz
or new motherboard with HA-108 chip upgrade.   150nsec 256K DRAMs work okay,
but I feel better with 120nsec.   Just replace the 8088-2 with a 8088-1
(10 MHz) and up the crystal to 32MHz, also replace all NEC ICs except the
keyboard controller (and I don't trust that) with non-NEC brands if there
are any in your machine.  DO NOT USE a V20 CPU at any rating.

The 10.7MHz Z-100 will now blow timming windows in the Z-100 RS-232 and
floppy controller diagnostics - this is a fault of the diagnostic software
using loops to time events that are now too short.  All other diagnostics
will run normally.

I can make available at cost PC Boards for a baby-board assembly so you don't
hack the Z-100 crystal on the motherboard.   The device is a PCB, wire-wrap
socket, resistor, crystal oscillator, two wires to a toggle switch on the
rear panel.  You get the 8MHz from the motherboard one way, throw the switch
and get the speed from the oscillator the other way.  You remove U236, stick
it in the device and put the device in the socket that you removed U236 from.
If you socket the oscillator, you can safely experment with system speed
increases, using the motherboard 8MHz to fall back on.

Cheers,
Gern
-------

In article <2582d869@kendra.uucp> ahd@kendra.wf.ags.com (Drew Derbyshire) writes:

   As much as 38400k ...

   Sure the chip can run at 38400k ... but that assumes no overhead
   for the operating system.  IBM-PC Kermit (not to be confused with
   Z-100 Kermit) can do transfers at up to 115Kb, but it intercepts the
   interrupts.

One small problem: The highest *standard* IBM-PC baud rate is 9600 baud.
Above that, you can't get within spec.  So you *can* talk from one IBM-PC
to another above 9600 baud, but don't expect to talk to *standard* machines
like the Z-100.

I tried it.  It don't work.  Nohow.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
Live up to the light thou hast, and more will be granted thee.

ahd@kendra.wf.ags.com (Drew Derbyshire) (12/12/89)

So what's the problem of running a Z-100 at 10.7Mhz?

The list you gave was a fairly impressive reason.

I'm sorry Dave, rebuilding my Z-100 from the mother board up doesn't
thrill me, I never did find a cheap hard drive controller for it.  That
fact that kendra (Epson Equity III+ PC/AT Clone) has a 71 meg disk AND
controller for the price of a Z-100 disk controller is not lost on me
... nor is it lost on Clarkson, which is almost ready to give them away
to charity.

Drew
--
Drew Derbyshire

Internet:       ahd@clutx.clarkson.edu     U.S. Mail: 108 Decatur St, Apt 9
UUCP:           kendra!ahd@garp.mit.edu               Arlington, MA 02174
                                           Telephone: 617-641-3739

"Her hair reminds me of a warm safe place where as a child I'd hide . . ."

shermaja@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU ("Jesse A. Sherman") (12/13/89)

I believe I bought the 8 MHz speed up kit you refer to.  What does it
cost to get the other half of the speed-up?

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (12/14/89)

In article <8912100008.AA07962@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> leno%v70a.decnet@NUSC-NPT.NAVY.MIL ("V70A::LENO") writes:
>>  I got one file to transfer at 19200, but then it would not work
>>again.  Must be too fast for the '181 :-)
>   According to the specs for the serial chip in our Z100s,
>  (I know, specs mean nothing) we should be able to get as
>  much as 38400bd out of it, we may have to get the machine
>  running at >10Mhz but it supposedly can do it.
>      peace,
>         Scott

Several years ago I wrote some hand-rolled assembly code to do 38K baud
transfers from a Micromint Micro D-Cam solid-state image sensor hooked
up to my old Z100.  Worked fine after I figured out how to do it.  :-)
It helped to have the BIOS and ROM sources for reference.  I wasn't
able to get it to work until I started speaking directly to the uart.

Paul Allen

Paul L. Allen                       | pallen@atc.boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!bcsaic!pallen

GUBBINS@TOPS20.RADC.AF.MIL (Gern) (12/18/89)

I have no idea what you think you bought...  Do you have a new or old
motherboard, with or without hacks, what is the 8088, what is the crystal
near U236, what is the oscillator on the (?) board that may be inserted in
the U236 socket, does the (?) have a 'G' on the bottom?.......

Cheers,
Gern
-------