[comp.sys.zenith.z100] external 5" floppy on Zenith SuperSport-286

malpass@VLSI.LL.MIT.EDU (Don Malpass) (12/20/89)

Has anyone with a Zenith SuperSport-286 laptop connected its External
Disk Drive Connector to a 5 1/4 inch drive and made it work?  If not,
can you suggest the right person at ZDS (are they still doing customer
support now that they were sold off?) for me to call?  (Z-100 readers
may stop with that question or read on if curious.)

I tried this hookup last night, and although the motor spins, the drive
LED never comes on, and the software times out with the typical
abort-retry msg.  I've done this trick successfully from my Sharp
laptop, (different pinout, naturally) so it can be done, so the fault
is not with the drive, and I think I must therefore know how to fudge
the drive-select signals.  But the 286 manual's connector pinout
provides only "Drive Select 3" and "Drive Select 2", which from other
information I deduce should go low when drive D: and C: are selected,
respectively.  The Setup menu appears to install the drive as "B:" if
told there's an external drive.  And even if I've added a config.sys
line
  device=c:\bin\driver.sys /f:0 /d:01
   [or /d:02 or 03 or 04 or 05.  I don't think I tried 00]
     ... I still can't seem to wiggle the "Drive Select 3 (pin 2)"
signal low afterwards.  "DS-2" does indeed seem to stay low most of the
time, since hard disk C: is what's usually called for (even more of the
time than I would have expected: e.g. during much of A: operations).

WHAT AM I MISSING?  What does it take to assert pin 2, and why can't I
make the drive D: (although I'd still have to assert pin 2)?  And just
for the hellovit, can an ancient and honerable 8" drive be controlled
in this way?  (I haven't looked at the signals required yet.)
---
Don Malpass   [malpass@LL-vlsi.arpa],  [malpass@gandalf.LL.mit.edu]
 "Why should the TAXPAYERS have to pay for it - let the GOVERNMENT
   pay instead."  [Example of the mentality that got us in this mess.]  12/89

paulb@zds-ux.UUCP (Paul E. Berg) (12/21/89)

In article <8912191822.AA19996@ll-vlsi.arpa>, malpass@VLSI.LL.MIT.EDU (Don Malpass) writes:
> [deleted]
> can you suggest the right person at ZDS (are they still doing customer
> support now that they were sold off?) for me to call?  (Z-100 readers
> may stop with that question or read on if curious.)

For the nearest Service Center

   In U.S.A., call:  1-800-842-9000
   In Canada, call:   416-231-4171

Tell them where you are (or perhaps the source of your system) and they
will give you a (hopefully local) contact.

There are numbers for international service centers in 36 other countries, too.