[comp.sys.zenith.z100] Programs for a Z-1OO

fstarr@LOGNET2.AF.MIL (TSgt Frank Starr) (03/05/90)

     I have an unmodified all-in-one Z-12O, with a floppy drive, a 1O
meg winchester, running DOS 3.1. I want to buy a couple of programs
for it, and need some info.
     Is there a version of TURBO-C which will run on a Z-12O? If so,
I'd like some ordering information.
     Next, I'd like the same info for something like SIDEKICK. I
looked at Right Hand Man, but got turned off by the notepad screen
only being about 1/4 of a screen. I'd prefer a full screed editor,
if I have one at all. What about PERKS? Or, are there other, better
programs? All opinions appreciated.
Frank Starr
fstarr@lognet2.arpa

cse0421@desire.wright.edu (03/13/90)

In article <9003060030.AA11115@lognet2.af.mil>, fstarr@LOGNET2.AF.MIL (TSgt Frank Starr) writes:
>      I have an unmodified all-in-one Z-12O, with a floppy drive, a 1O
> meg winchester, running DOS 3.1. I want to buy a couple of programs
> for it, and need some info.
>      Is there a version of TURBO-C which will run on a Z-12O? If so,
> I'd like some ordering information.
>      Next, I'd like the same info for something like SIDEKICK. I
> looked at Right Hand Man, but got turned off by the notepad screen
> only being about 1/4 of a screen. I'd prefer a full screed editor,
> if I have one at all. What about PERKS? Or, are there other, better
> programs? All opinions appreciated.
> Frank Starr
> fstarr@lognet2.arpa

Frank...

The command line version of Turbo-C will run fine on the Z-100.  I beleive
you have to give it a parameter to tell it to not show the line numbers as
it compiles though.  If you have full memory in your Z-100 I would highly
recommend you getting ZPC from HUG.  It is only about $45 or so and will let
you run a fair bit of PC software.  I beleive the integrated environment
will run under ZPC.  I know version 1.0 of Turbo-C will run fine under ZPC.
(I got a PC compatible before I upgraded to ver 2.)

As for pop up utilities I only know of 2.  Perks which you named and
Genie.  I am not sure if the Z-100 version of Genie is still available.
Both Perks & Genie have most of the utilities found in Sidekick.  If you
are going to get ZPC if you load Perks before ZPC it will pop up in either
Z100 or PC mode.

			John Wolf

		     CSE0421@desire.wright.edu