[comp.sys.zenith.z100] Hard Disk in a Z-100

kent@sun.ufnet.ufl.edu (Kent Phelps) (03/20/90)

I have an old Z-100 with the UCI EZ-PC emulator in it.  The hard drive has
gone west.  The controller passes diagnostics so I believe that the disk
itself has gone west.  The controller card is part number 181-5063 and there
is another card, the data seperator, which doesn't have a regular part number
but does have the board number 85-2818-1.  Can this combo work with any current
drives such as a seagate ST-225?  If so how?  It did not work off the bat when
I tried it out.  Are there any configuration changes on the cards that need to
done?

Thanx in advance for any info.

--
     Kent Phelps        | Internet:  kent@sun.ufnet.ufl.edu
 University of Florida  | UUCP:  ... ????

koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) (03/21/90)

In article <22715@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> kent@sun.ufnet.ufl.edu (Kent Phelps) writes:
>I have an old Z-100 with the UCI EZ-PC emulator in it.  The hard drive has
>gone west.  The controller passes diagnostics so I believe that the disk
>itself has gone west.  The controller card is part number 181-5063 and there
>is another card, the data seperator, which doesn't have a regular part number
>but does have the board number 85-2818-1.  Can this combo work with any current
>drives such as a seagate ST-225?  If so how?  It did not work off the bat when
>I tried it out.  Are there any configuration changes on the cards that need to
>done?

Yup, it'll work with the ST225, Gern will probably tell you that, he uses one.
You will HAVE to re-prep the ST225 if it came from an I(nferior) B(ut)
M(arketable)-like machine since they only use 17 sectors (we Z100 folk get 18)
per track.  If ti came from another Z100, you SHOULD re-prep it since there may
be data sep to data sep tolerance differences.

You will need a copy of ZDS Winchester utilities, which you SHOULD have from th
e old Z100 as well as the manual that came with it/them.  Follow the 'prep'
instructions and everything should work.  Gern may add something to this that I
have missed, like the drive parameters that prep will request (he knows/has
access to them).

Hope this helps!

Walt K.

>Thanx in advance for any info.
>
>--
>     Kent Phelps        | Internet:  kent@sun.ufnet.ufl.edu
> University of Florida  | UUCP:  ... ????
> Digital Design Facility| Phone: 904-392-2464

kent@sun.ufnet.ufl.edu (Kent Phelps) (03/22/90)

Perhaps I need to clarify my problem.  By not working right off the bat I
should have said that it doesn't run prep right off the bat.

I have a Z100 that has hard drive problems but I am not sure if it is the
controller boards or if the problem is the hard disk itself.  The unit passes
the controller diagnostics but as soon as I run any of the disk diags I get
a failure.  In the hope that the problem was a hard disk I tried to install
an ST-225 in its place.  When I try to run PREP ( MS-DOS Ver 2.1 ) I get an
error.  I know all the parameters for the ST-225 so that is no problem.  What
I need to know is if there are any jumper or switch changes I must implement
on the controller or the data separator.  The old hard disk is a 10 MByte so
that may be part of the problem.  Inquiring minds want to know.

Again - Thanx in advance.
--
     Kent Phelps        | Internet:  kent@sun.ufnet.ufl.edu
 University of Florida  | UUCP:  ... ????
 Digital Design Facility| Phone: 904-392-2464

tmm@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Tim McCaffrey) (03/23/90)

There is a jumper on the controller which has to be connected before you
can PREP the drive.  I think its labelled "format" or something like that.
It is located in the middle of the board (approx.).

Be sure to remove the jumper after the drive is PREPed to avoid disaster...

			Tim McCaffrey