[comp.sys.zenith.z100] Checking for 8087

gt4589b@prism.gatech.EDU (Davis, Jr., Martin H.) (04/11/90)

I recently bought (used) the Easy87 8087 coprocessor board.  In the in-
structions, they said I should put the system in the monitor mode, and
at the "familiar" hand prompt, depress the "S" key.  The instructions
said if I had installed the 8087 properly, then "8087" would appear

However, "8087" does not appear.  However, I know for a fact the Z-100
is making use of the 8087 ith appropriate software).  I use the
Microsoft QuickC 2.0 for development simulation work, and when it is
compiled in a default manner, it tests for the 8087 and uses it if present.
Thus programs that previously took 100 secs. run in 5 secs, so I know
that QuickC 2.0 finds the 8087.

I guess my question is:  Are the Easy87 instructions wrong in saying the
"8087" should appear in response to the "S" command?  Or, is there some-
thing (like a jumper, whatever, etc.) I should have set when I installed
the coprocessor?  I guess I'm just curious more than anything else since
the only application I have that can use the 8087 is the QuickC.

--
DAVIS,MARTIN HENRY JR
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt4589b

koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) (04/13/90)

In article <7872@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4589b@prism.gatech.EDU (Davis, Jr., Martin H.) writes:
>I recently bought (used) the Easy87 8087 coprocessor board.  In the in-
>structions, they said I should put the system in the monitor mode, and
>at the "familiar" hand prompt, depress the "S" key.  The instructions
>said if I had installed the 8087 properly, then "8087" would appear

The Easy87 instructions are *ONLY* correct if you ROM monitor version 2.9
installed.  There are no jumpers or other hokey, I(nferior) B(ut)
M(arketable)-like dipswitches etc to set.  If you have access to them (or know
someone who does) the short-lived Borland magazines contained an excellent
article describing how Borland language products determine presence of an 8087.
Similar should hold for others.  QuickC runs on the Z-100???  Tell me more; I'd
like to know more!!

Walt K.