[comp.sys.zenith.z100] 512 Byte sectors wanted on Miniscribe Model 2012

koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) (07/05/90)

I'm at a loss to explain it, but I can't seem to convince 'PREP' to format this
disk with 512 byte sectors (alledgedly, the default).  It keeps forcing 1024
byte sectors on me, without me issuing the '/k' switch.  I have PREPped the
drive in a z150 in an attempt to TOTALLY corrupt the system-parameters area on
the disk.  Then re-ran z100 PREP.  Same result!  1024 byte sectors (implies
4096 byte clusters!).  Is there anyone who has an idea on this??

Btw, I used the same PREP executable on this drive as I used on my home machine
(home machine HAS 512 byte sectors and 2048 byte clusters).

Walt K.

bjones@ssc-vax.UUCP (Robert F. Jones) (07/07/90)

In article <2485@nosc.NOSC.MIL>, koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) writes:
> I'm at a loss to explain it, but I can't seem to convince 'PREP' to format this
> disk with 512 byte sectors (alledgedly, the default).  It keeps forcing 1024
> byte sectors on me, without me issuing the '/k' switch.  I have PREPped the
> drive in a z150 in an attempt to TOTALLY corrupt the system-parameters area on
> the disk.  Then re-ran z100 PREP.  Same result!  1024 byte sectors (implies
> 4096 byte clusters!).  Is there anyone who has an idea on this??

It has been awhile since I've played with this, but 1024 bytes <>
4096 byte clusters....  Grant it, you may need the MS-DOS
developer's package for the Z-100 to tweek it, but....

Hmmm... you must have a newer version of PREP than I do.  My version
would not do 1024 byte sectors without the /K switch, and if you had
a drive over 32 megabytes, you either had to use the /K switch or
limit yourself to the 32 meg. limit with PREP.  What are the
parameters of the drive, i.e. what are you telling prep for such
things as the number of heads, the number of cylinders, etc.?

Good luck......rfj.....
standard disclaimer applies ========================== phone: (206) 773-2102
uucp:  uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bjones  or  ssc-vax!bjones@beaver.cs.washington.edu
snail: The Boeing Company, P.O. Box 3999, M/S 8K-04, Seattle, WA  98124-2499

koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) (07/10/90)

In article <3433@ssc-vax.UUCP> bjones@ssc-vax.UUCP (Robert F. Jones) writes:

[I deleted my description of attempting to get 512 byte rather than 1024 byte
sectors -- Walt K.]

>It has been awhile since I've played with this, but 1024 bytes <>
>4096 byte clusters....  Grant it, you may need the MS-DOS
well, actually, it DOES imply 4096 byte clusters if the drive in question has 4
heads and has 1024 byte sectors.
>developer's package for the Z-100 to tweek it, but....

again, I didn't need this to convince it to 'happen' with my home-drive

>Hmmm... you must have a newer version of PREP than I do.  My version
>would not do 1024 byte sectors without the /K switch, and if you had
>a drive over 32 megabytes, you either had to use the /K switch or
>limit yourself to the 32 meg. limit with PREP.  What are the
>parameters of the drive, i.e. what are you telling prep for such
>things as the number of heads, the number of cylinders, etc.?

I don't, off-hand, recall; I *DID* use the parameters provided in the ZDS
documentation for the Miniscribe 2012 drive (they're in the PREP.COM section of
the manual).  And, no, I don't think I have a newer version of PREP than you
do, mine has just run amok.

>Good luck......rfj.....
THANKS!

Walt K.