[net.micro] Free and undirected campus computing facilities

peterr@utcsrgv.UUCP (Peter Rowley) (11/13/84)

[pagan ritual]

While at the University of Waterloo from '77 to '82, I witnessed the shutdown
of free computing services and the effect it had.  While others on the net
were more directly involved with the free computing than I (and they may well
want to comment), I did notice the benefits of free computing and the many
disadvantages of not having it.

Some specifics:  the math faculty (home of CS at Waterloo) had an 11/45 left
over from a research project.  It fell into the hands of a devoted group of
UNIX(tm) hacks who spent a *lot* of time with it.  That group went on to become
world-class UNIX experts; some wrote Coherent(tm) at Mark Williams Co. and
others became valuable systems people at Waterloo.  Still others undoubtedly
did impressive things I'm not aware of.

But all good things pass... the 45 started to be used for courses and
where one used to be able to get an account very easily, one now had to
have a particular project to work on.  I'm not quite sure how it finally
died, but soon thereafter, free computing in math at UW ended.  (It may have
been reborn since; I don't know)

The number of UNIX hacks dropped drastically, of course.  Some micro-
computer hacks appeared, due to the dropping prices of micro hardware,
but it wasn't the same-- they lacked a meeting place (the 45's terminal
room) and a common sense of purpose (making UNIX better).  CS became
more mundane.  Hacks are still around, but most work on specifically
funded projects-- contract work, etc.  The creative freedom possible
with free computing has been diminished (but not eliminated-- again, others
still at UW may well want to comment on this).

I think one needs free computing, to give creativity an outlet-- to let
people pursue projects that don't have to work or be done by a certain
time.  Thus will come some flops, but some truly innovative software also.
And also some people who know particular machines and operating systems
inside out-- and better versions of those operating systems.

So, to any hardware manufacturers out there, I urge you to have an
"Undirected Computing Grant Programme" to supply machines to hack on.
In 5 years or even less you will probably have some world-class experts.
Of course, the equipment must be hackable-- source code has to be supplied
for example.  And there has to be a promise from the university that it
won't be used for course work and that free access will be given.  It
probably helps for the operating system to be a bit obscure (like UNIX)
so that there is enough of a barrier to large numbers of people who would
otherwise use the machine for homework.

(UNIX is a trademark of Bell Labs, Coherent is a trademark of Mark Williams)

p. rowley, U. Toronto

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong, Computing Services) (11/13/84)

"Free computing", as you put it, hasn't quite died at Waterloo.  I have
been told that all grad students in CS get a complimentary watbun account
for the Honeywell.  Any CS grad student that can't talk their way into
official access to one of the Unix systems doesn't deserve their CS degree.
Electrical Engineering now has two Vax 780s.  Everyone in CCNG and VLSI
gets one free.  Most of the other EE grads get their own micro's and minis
to work on.  All the micros on campus are not accounted in any way.
This includes about 500 IBM PC's, hundreds of DEC Rainbows and PRO's, more
that we know what to do with.  Undergrads only have free access to these.
So, undergrads have free access to micros, and grad students usually have
free access to everything else.  There is billing done on Unix and our
VM/CMS systems, but not on our VMS systems.  So the net effect is computing
is still free, but what systems you can do it on depends on whether
you are graduate or not.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu
POST:  Department of Computing Services
       University of Waterloo
       Waterloo, ON
       N2L 3G1 (519)886-4733 x3524

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (11/13/84)

In case anyone is interested, this is further information on the 11/45
that Peter Rowley mentioned:

The machine was not originally purchased for running UNIX - it was
obtained for another project involving custom code running under RSX.
But after several years, the project still wasn't quite working, and a
group of interested people requested machine time to try to get UNIX
up.  UNIX was booted by building a root filesystem image on another
UNIX 11/45 on campus, taking the RK05 disk to yet another 11/45 running
RT11 which then transferred the disk image over a serial line to the
target machine (which didn't have a DEC disk of any sort).  For four
months, UNIX and the other project were running 12 hours a day each.
At the end of this period, UNIX took over entirely.

After the first few years of running UNIX, the machine was increasingly
used for teaching courses - it was the only UNIX machine available to
the math faculty, and there was no other system that allowed the
operating systems people to build groups of communicating simultaneous
processes, and no other system that had tools as suitable for teaching
a compiler course on.  So it came to be heavily overloaded, and not
really useable for kernel (or other types of) hacking.  In addition,
the professor who was responsible for the system seemed to object to
people doing undirected hacking anyway - he wanted people to have
specific goals, and demonstrate that the hacking wasn't affecting their
schoolwork.

Thus, for the last few years that the 11/45 was in general use, it
really wasn't a hacker's machine anyway.  Then, the faculty purchased
its first VAX to replace the /45, but it was intended for teaching and
research only, and was instantly overloaded too.  The 11/45 was donated
to the computer graphics group (it was the original "watcgl") where it
was used for a year or so.  Then the computer graphics people obtained
their own VAX, and the /45 was donated to the Ontario Science Centre.

I should note that I'm one of the group of hacks who maintained the
/45, and in fact one of the last people who learned UNIX internals on
that machine.  I started using it in 1976, and the few years following
that were the most productive in learning the system and experimenting
with modifications to it.  Then, almost nobody used UNIX for "serious"
work and thus we could reboot it almost any time with little warning.
(The fact that the hardware was a hodgepodge of obsolete stuff from
various vendors with no maintenance support for most of it probably
helped - it went through periods where it crashed so often that only
the hacks could tolerate using it anyway.)

Ah, the good old days!
	Dave Martindale

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (11/13/84)

Herb (watdcsu!herbie) points out that "free" computing is still available
at Waterloo.  Yes, but not in the same manner that Peter Rowley was
talking about.  In the environment Peter described, a group of students
- some grad, some undergrad - had complete access to a machine.  They
debugged and rewrote parts of the operating system.  Virtually no one
has that sort of access now, even on the PC's, because sources are not
available on the small machines and the VAXes are shared by too many
people for anyone to be able to do any operating system hacking (except
for the people who are employed to do that, of course).

So, though many people can get processor cycles without paying money
for them, they don't have the sort of "free" access to the entire system
that created the group of UNIX gurus that developed here in the 70's.
A few months after first opening the cover of a UNIX manual, I was being
encouraged to fix a bug in the lineprinter driver in the kernel (even
though I was scared of the idea of tampering with the operating system
itself - I was still in first year, and thought I didn't understand
any real computer science yet).  Five months after I first logged on,
I had a summer job that involved writing a device driver and configuring
a UNIX system that used it, without any help - and I had just finished
first year.  In that kind of environment, you learn fast.  But that kind
of environment just is not available anymore, except perhaps to a very
few exceptionally lucky people.

	Dave Martindale

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong, Computing Services) (11/14/84)

I agree, but there is freedom of resources and freedom of access.  One
has been lost and probably will never be recovered.  The PDP 11/45 was
sufficiently small and isolated that few people even heard of it (I
played adventure on it once).  Only to a relatively small community
was it available to do almost anything.  Today, a small percentage
change in access means a lot of users and usually a lot of hardware.
People who know what they're up to can still do all kinds of things
on the micros, but the VAXen are no longer a freebie curiosity that
needed to be used to justify themselves.  With the increase in the
user community came adminstration, and then resource control.  I am
fortunate is having access to Unix source, but it is a priviledge I
earned by being a bug-shooter, not because I thought I had something
that someday might be interesting.  Unless the resources are there
just for personal use, someone is going to ask a user to justify their
resource consumption.

chenr@tilt.FUN (Ray Chen) (11/17/84)

>From Hugh Redelmeier:
>I presume the current generation uses its own personal computers.

Yep, as a member of the "current generation", I can definitely say that
a VAX makes a pretty nice personal computer, although a 750 is a little
slow (:-) ?).

As for free computing, I'm all for it.  It benefits everybody.  The people
using the machines learn a lot, have resources available to try out new
ideas, and the company donating the machines ends up with a group of
people who are whatever-gods.  A word to any corporate types out there.
In order to make this sort of thing successful, though, the people have
to be willing to live on your machine.  If it's a dog, then no matter
how much you push it on people, the good ones will look elsewhere until
they find something more to their liking.  Not only that, but if you expect
people to hack, and hence, learn about your machine, you'll have to give
them something to hack on -- source code.  Unix, for example, would be
a real pain without source.  Imagine trying to fix all the bugs...
Even if you never have to look at any of it, it's nice to know it's there.

	Ray Chen
	princeton!tilt!chenr

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (11/18/84)

We at ncoast offer a Unix (well, Xenix) system for public access, almost
unlimited (have to make room for the owner at work, and, of course, for
news :-) for any user who wants on.  (Unfortunately, 3-user Xenix without
source is not the best opportunity around...)

Anyway, I learned Unix hacking on here and just put the system back together
after a major system crash; others have done so in the past from stuff
learned working on here.  Is it possible that privately-owned systems
like ncoastcould replace campus facilities for this purpose?

--bsa
--
  Brandon Allbery @ North Coast Xenix  |   the.world!ucbvax!decvax!cwruecmp!
6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio |       {atvax!}ncoast!{tdi1!}bsa

fair@dual.UUCP (Erik E. Fair) (11/21/84)

>> From: bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery)
>> Date: Sun, 18-Nov-84 08:38:59 PST
>>
>> We at ncoast offer a Unix (well, Xenix) system for public access, almost
>> unlimited (have to make room for the owner at work, and, of course, for
>> news :-) for any user who wants on.  (Unfortunately, 3-user Xenix without
>> source is not the best opportunity around...)
>>
>> Anyway, I learned Unix hacking on here and just put the system back together
>> after a major system crash; others have done so in the past from stuff
>> learned working on here.  Is it possible that privately-owned systems
>> like ncoast could replace campus facilities for this purpose?

The short answer is ``no.''

The problem with small privately owned UNIX systems is universal: no source.
There are three ``public'' access UNIX systems in the Bay Area, of which
two are on USENET: proper and vectron. It so happens that both of them are
DUAL Systems (end plug).

My background in CS and UNIX hacking is from U.C. Berkeley, and I'm happy
to say that things there are improving (albeit *very* slowly) rather than
degrading as MIT and Waterloo are (or did).

When I arrived in the fall of 1980, the Berkeley Computer Club (a.k.a.
the Computer Science Undergraduate Association) had 60 restricted
access accounts on the Cory Hall PDP-11/70 (2.8BSD), and that was it,
unless you wanted to pay your way in the computer center on their
poorly maintained 11/70's (and pay you would!).  There was hot
competition for those 60 accounts, particularly for the top 20, which
were for `consultants' who had fixed hours that they would be in the
terminal room to help other users (and hack whatever; it was an excuse
to be on the machine during prime time hours). In addition to slightly
more machine access, there was a higher disk quota on the consultant
accounts.

The graduates weren't much better off; they all had Cory 11/70 accounts,
but the place to be was on Ernie Co-VAX the CSVAX, UCB's one & *only* VAX.
Vax accounts for undergrads was pretty much unheard of.

The birth of something real for UCB's undergrads came when Onyx Systems
donated one of their first machines to Berkeley to have Berkeley
utilites ported to it. The graduate students tired of it rather rapidly
because it wasn't even as fast as the 11/70, and curious undergrads
started getting accounts and doing strange things to the utilities and
the Kernel. This was encouraged largely by an enlightened graduate
student named Mark Horton (yes, the very same) with some behind-the-scenes
help from Professor Robert S. Fabry.

After many machinations (Mark graduated to Bell Labs, the Onyx had a
head crash and was dead for three months, political maneuvering of
various kinds) the Onyx was set up in the basement of Evans Hall (in a
terminal room that was being abandoned by the Computer Center & EECS)
as the first machine of the `Undergraduate Computing Facility.' The
basic policy was that any registered undergraduate of UCB could come
and get an account by filling out a form and showing his reg card to a
staff member. Of course, there was no way the Onyx could handle the
total number of undergrads at UCB (~21,000 at that time), so we didn't
advertise our existence very widely (although USENET old timers may
remember the `ucbonyx' system hanging off of ucbarpa in days of yore;
as a minor point of hysterical fact, version B netnews was originally
developed on the ucbonyx, because it was the only place that Matt Glickman
could get an account).

The UCF has since grown to include a Vax730 (another machine that the
grads got tired of real quick, but it's a real vax running 4.2BSD), and
a Perkin-Elmer 3230. There is a dedicated cadre of hackers running
those machines with varied interests. Some are Kernel hackers, others
are Lisping along, still others are doing work in computer graphics.

The point, however, is that the UNIX hackers in the bunch wouldn't have
learned doodly squat without source on a machine that they could hack
and no one would care (much) if it died.  That's how I got my first
exposure to device drivers (trying to optimize the Onyx disk driver)
and to other parts of the v7 kernel. That experience, plus the fact
that I had been system manager for a year, got me my current job at DUAL
Systems when the University and I parted company in January of 1983. It
has stood quite a few of the other hackers who have departed from UCB
in good stead also.

In short, no source means that you miss a large part of what being a UNIX
hacker is all about.

	down with non-student run university computation centers,

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucb-arpa.ARPA

	dual!fair@BERKELEY.ARPA
	{ihnp4,ucbvax,hplabs,decwrl,cbosgd,sun,nsc,apple,pyramid}!dual!fair
	Dual Systems Corporation, Berkeley, California

randy@wlcrjs.UUCP (Randy Suess) (11/25/84)

In article <420@ncoast.UUCP> bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:
>We at ncoast offer a Unix (well, Xenix) system for public access, almost
>unlimited (have to make room for the owner at work, and, of course, for
>news :-) for any user who wants on.  (Unfortunately, 3-user Xenix without
>source is not the best opportunity around...)
>  Brandon Allbery @ North Coast Xenix  |   the.world!ucbvax!decvax!cwruecmp!
>6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio |       {atvax!}ncoast!{tdi1!}bsa
>   (216) 524-1416             \ 44131  | E1439@CSUOHIO.BITNET (friend's acct.)

	I also have a public access Xenix system in the Chicago area for
any/all interested persons.  It is running on an Altos 586 with 2 40 meg
drives, and 4 lines.  It is on USENET with 2.10.2 and rn.  The number
is (312) 283-0559.  All are welcome.

If *only* I had known...
Randy Suess
Chi-Net - Public Access UN*X
(312) 545 7535 (h) (312) 283 0559 (system)
{ihnp4|ihldt}!wlcrjs!randy

wjafyfe@watmath.UUCP (Andy Fyfe) (12/21/84)

There are two issues involved.  One is whether the university
provide unrestricted access to its computer facilities.  The
other is whether or not the university can even provide for
its own needs, and is the more important issue.  While "free"
access is a great thing to have, it can't be provided without
first having a surplus.  And if we have a surplus at Waterloo,
someone must be hiding it.

>That valuable resource, the human brain, can be rented for about minimum
>wage on most college campuses.  A VAX cannot.  By the rather rude and
>unfair laws of ecomomics the brain sits 'idle' while the machine is
>used as a scarce resource.  If your brain isn't being fully utilized
>go to the library and get a good book *for free*.  It will do more
>for you in the long run...  Them's the facts.  Can't change 'em, may
>as well deal with 'em.

There is no problem keeping my brain fully utilized.  One instance
when my brain is clearly underutilized is during those times when
courses require that I work with the computer, and the computer
is so overloaded as to waste a great deal of my time.  (Ever typed
80 characters, stopped, and watched all 80 of them appear on the
screen, one at a time?)  To this I object strongly, and it has the
side effect of turning a potentially useful exercise into something
to get quickly out of the way.

>When something is FREE, you take what you can get and are thankful.  That
>is the way a capitalist society works.  If you want more, buy it.  If you
>don't have the money, work for it.  If you have to chose between work or
>school, then chose.  Don't gripe about it after.  It was your choice.  The
>world is not 'fair', it just is.

I'm not necessarily looking for something for free.  The computer
science part of my degree requires that I interact with the computers.
And I pay money for this, in the form of tuition fees.  And as for
access to other systems like watmath, I gained this access in exchange
for "volunteer work".  It isn't for "free".  And if I do have access
to something "free", and I can exploit it to my advantage, so much
the better.

>No.  The best way to learn is to read.  Nothing has come close to the
>*WELL STUDIED* text book for imparting maximum information in minimum
>time.  It is not as much fun as 'hands on'.  It takes effort to read.
>It is enhanced by a good instructor and well planned exercises.  These
>may be computer based exercises or 'hand graded'.  Doesn't make a bit of
>difference if your syntax error was found by the instructor, a computer,
>or the student in the next seat.

The best way is to read?  I'm not sure.  Certainly there is a great deal
of information to be gained from reading books, but that alone is not
enough.  You state that learning is enhanced by "well planned exercises".
These are "do it" sort of things, not read about it.

In this, my final year, the "exercises" that we are given are not
Mickey Mouse.  The real-time course requires that a pair of students
write a real-time kernel, and then an application program to run a
model train set.  The compiler course requires that a pair of students
write a compiler that generates code that will run on a VAX.  (These
are both 4-month courses.)  It would be absurd to think that any
instructor, or "student in the next seat" could hand-grade either
of these projects without a computer to actually run them on.  The
marker wants to see a running train, or a compiled program running
on the vax, not a lot of code.  And I'll never believe that I could
have learned more about kernels, real-time, or compilers by reading
a book rather than doing the assignment.  In fact, I will learn more
from a book now than I ever would have before.

>The best instructors teach more with the least equipment.  You can learn
>more about biology with the equipment in your own kitchen and a good
>instructor than in the best lab with poor instruction.

My first year calculus professor realized that the best learning
environment came from a bunch of students getting together to
solve problems, because you only learned from doing problems, and
there was so much to be learned from students exchanging ideas.
I view the instructor as a person who tries to increase my interest
in a subject so that *I* will go out and learn about it, not someone
who simply teaches.  Put the best instructor in the best lab and there
is no limit to what I can learn.  Can the same be said for my kitchen?

>However, if you expect to spend your work life being limited only
>by the creativity of your brain you are mistaken.  You will be limited
>by budgets, social presures, time available, market forcasts, company
>policy, product line definitions, available lab space, etc...
>
>Work/study shows you what you *WILL* be dealing with in the work world.
>Now, if you have the money to own your own company and buy your own lab
>and do your own research, then you may spend your money as you see fit
>and may chose to ignore those limitations.  And if you are so equiped with
>money, you can buy your own PC or VAXen and avoid learning to live with
>limited resource on campus.  You may then play to your hearts content.
>Again, this is a capitalist society.  School is a non-capitalist model
>(somewhat reminisent of a Lange type socialism in many ways) trying to
>teach the skills needed to live in the greater society.

I'm in a co-op program so I've seen the "real world", and I've seen enough
of it to know that some of the things we are required to deal with would
not be tolerated in the workforce.  Certainly the company directs the way
I spend my time, but they recognize that if I'm to do useful work for them
they have to provide me with the facilities that I require.  And so far
they've always had the foresight to realize that people require time to
go off and do their own thing once in a while, and have encouraged it
(within reason, of course!).

>Do you want to learn these lessons now, or when your income (read dinner,
>rent, car, tv, PC, medical expenses) depends on doing it right without
>free run of the facilities?

"Doing it right" requires knowing exactly what "right" and "wrong" are.
This alone is a good argument for giving students as much possible
opportunity to experiment, before it really matters.

>No one would dare claim these opinions.

Indeed.

>E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

The loss of unrestricted access to me is a bad first sign.  Around here
it suggests the absense of surplus cpu resources.  Since things are
never balanced, this means that the resources are inadequate.  This
is usually addressed by forcing students to work with overloaded systems
(which often means working through the night) or reducing the load by
removing some of the work that would normally have been done.  I've
had to deal with both.  The result can easily be a large number of
irritated students, or a potentially compromised education.  In either
case, it's not in anyone's best long term interest.

Andy Fyfe		...!{decvax, allegra, ihnp4, et. al}!watmath!wjafyfe
			wjafyfe@waterloo.csnet