[comp.sys.zenith.z100] Cannot boot a Z-100

mcad@shamash.cdc.com (K. M. Hoaglund) (11/14/90)

I have a Z100 that will not boot from hard drive or floppy.  Just turned it
on one day and no boot.  I am even unable to activate the ROM monitor (and get
the "finger" prompt).  Just a flashing cursor when I turn it on.  No other
activity.  Bad ROM? If so, where can I get a new chip?

par@hq.af.mil (Paul A. Reitelbach) (11/16/90)

> I have a Z100 that will not boot from hard drive or floppy.  Just turned it
> on one day and no boot.  I am even unable to activate the ROM monitor (and g
> the "finger" prompt).  Just a flashing cursor when I turn it on.  No other
> activity.  Bad ROM? If so, where can I get a new chip?

Have you tried taking all the boards out and setting them back in again?
Sometimes this helps, because all the connections on the boards are not making
good contact.
--
Paul A. Reitelbach                  *   There's a way to do it better -
Computer Programmer/Analyst         *   find it.

koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) (11/23/90)

In article <PAR.90Nov16081344@hq.af.mil> par@hq.af.mil (Paul A. Reitelbach) writes:
>someone else wrote:
>
>> I have a Z100 that will not boot from hard drive or floppy.  Just turned it
>> on one day and no boot.  I am even unable to activate the ROM monitor (and g
>> the "finger" prompt).  Just a flashing cursor when I turn it on.  No other
>> activity.  Bad ROM? If so, where can I get a new chip?
>
>Have you tried taking all the boards out and setting them back in again?
>Sometimes this helps, because all the connections on the boards are not making
>good contact.

Reasonable advice for one of Zenith's vile clones of the I(nferior) B(ut)
M(arketable) P(reposterous) C(ontrivence)s; but not applicable to the
well-designed Z-100.  Removal of the Z-100's disk controller board (the DEFAULT
DEVICE CONTROLLER, as determined by switch S101)  should produce a 'DEFAULT
DEVICE CONTROLLER ERROR'.  if this doesn't occur, listen for one 'beep' at
power-up.  If one beep is heard, the 8085 is attempting to relinquish control
to the 8088; if NO beep then check in/around 8085 circuitry.  If one beep,
rather than two, check around 8088 and associated circuitry.  A copy of the
Technical Manual is a necessity.  New Monitor ROMs are (were, as of Summer
1989) available from ZDS.  Or, for approx $60 you can get version 3.0 monitor
from Bob Donohue; I don't recall his address, however.

Walt K.