[comp.sys.zenith.z100] color on the z151

js@dukee.egr.duke.edu (Jeffrey A. Shorey) (01/24/91)

From article <26739@ucsd.Edu>, by jboyd@ucsd.Edu (John Boyd):

> 	Does anyone know how to get a cheap non-zenith color
> graphics card (maybe ega) to work in one of these dinosaurs?
> Is it a question of BIOS chips that need a changing or is it some
> other hardware difficulty?  Thanks in advance.....
I don't know about an EGA, but I had a Paradise dual graphics card working in
mine when I had an H151.  It could be switched between CGA mode and Hercules
mode.
Probably the only thing to worry about with the EGA is whether your hard
disk rom clashed with the EGA memory space.  As I recall the rom was at
a wierd dip-switch setable location - EGA space is in the 64K at $A000 I
believe.

- Jeff Shorey

koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) (01/24/91)

In article <26739@ucsd.Edu> jboyd@ucsd.Edu (John Boyd) writes:

>	Does anyone know how to get a cheap non-zenith color
>graphics card (maybe ega) to work in one of these dinosaurs?
>Is it a question of BIOS chips that need a changing or is it some
>other hardware difficulty?  Thanks in advance.....

No, not in this newsgroup, anyway.  This group is for discussion of the
Heath/Zenith Z-100 series of professional desktop computers (i.e. H/Z-110, 120,
etc); not the feeble clones of the I(nferior) B(ut) M(arketable) P(reposterous)
C(ontrivence).

Try 'comp.sys.zenith' instead.....

Walt K.

koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) (01/24/91)

In article <1292@cameron.egr.duke.edu> js@dukee.egr.duke.edu (Jeffrey A. Shorey) writes:

	[ some question about inferior, non Z-100 machine ]

>I don't know about an EGA, but I had a Paradise dual graphics card working in
>mine when I had an H151.  It could be switched between CGA mode and Hercules
>mode.
>Probably the only thing to worry about with the EGA is whether your hard
>disk rom clashed with the EGA memory space.  As I recall the rom was at
>a wierd dip-switch setable location - EGA space is in the 64K at $A000 I
>believe.

Please restrict this to 'comp.sys.zenith'; NOT 'comp.sys.zenith.z100'!  This
newsgroup is for discussion of the Heath/Zenith H/Z-100 series of professional
desktop computers *ONLY*; not the I(nferior) B(ut) M(arketable) P(reposterous)
C(ontrivence) clones.

Btw, do any of you ibm-users have access to 768K of RAM under MS-DOS??  Didn't
think so.

Walt K.

koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) (01/26/91)

In article <1295@cameron.egr.duke.edu> js@dukee.egr.duke.edu (Jeffrey A. Shorey) writes:
>From article <3430@nosc.NOSC.MIL>, by koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz):

	[ scathing remarks about non-Z-100s ]

>Gee, sorry.  Wouldn't want to cause too much traffic...  Btw, how many 768Kers
>have CGA/EGA/MGA compatibility?

A lot of them; CGA is *easy* via Pat Swayne's 'ZPC' program, 'Sextant' magazine
showed how to alter ZPC to do EGA *AND* (thanks to Travis Barfield) Z-100 have
the capability to show 640X480 in _512_ colors, sometime this century ibm-ish
things *might* catch up.  That's sufficient to show *four* standard VGA images
simultaneously (remember, *real* VGA is (chuckle) 320X200 in only 256 colors).
It is, however, a shame to degrade Travis's board in that manner...

>Sorry Walt, I have two Z100's...both with 768K.

'Sorry', for what?  You obviously are aware of the hardware superiority of the
Z-100 over the rest...

Walt K.