[comp.sys.zenith.z100] HZ-100 <--> PCish file xfer

malpass@LL.MIT.EDU (Don Malpass) (04/11/91)

	Well, I've gone and done it - bought an ibm-contemptible (from
Swan) to [*snif*] replace my trusty HZ-100.  So over the next few
months [post-taxes, etc] I'll be wanting to shlep a bunch of files to
the new semi-infinite disk.  A LOT of that stuff is on 8" disks.
	I've asked this question before (when I bought a used laptop
that had no 5" drive, but I spliced my HZ drive to it as an external):
Is there a GOOD way to transfer files between Z-100's and IBM clones?
The laptop came with ZCOM, which can move stuff between clones at
115Kbps, which is fantastic.  But as far as I know, that Zenith program
isn't available for the Z-100.  I don't need whistles and bells; just
plain vanilla file "moveage" with minimum hassle.  When all else fails,
I'll spend the time to make Kermit run as a server in one machine and
see what it takes to get its speed/packet-size up to where it isn't so
damn slow.  But what else can I do that has a zero-length learning
curve?
	I s'pose I should also ask whether any of you has grafted an
8" drive to a clone.  If I get truly interested, I can ask the PC
crowd.
Don Malpass   [malpass@ll.mit.edu],  [malpass@vlsi.ll.mit.edu]
  Malpass's Law of Laundry:  The number of socks removed from the
    basket is odd unless the last two are of different color.

dj@balrog.ctron.com (DJ Delorie) (04/11/91)

In article <9104101512.AA20080@LL.MIT.EDU> malpass@LL.MIT.EDU (Don Malpass) writes:
>  A LOT of that stuff is on 8" disks.
>	I've asked this question before (when I bought a used laptop
>that had no 5" drive, but I spliced my HZ drive to it as an external):
>Is there a GOOD way to transfer files between Z-100's and IBM clones?

I do have a program that lets you read 720K quad floppies on an IBM's
1.2M drive - destructively.  You can't use them for Z's anymore.  You
could rewrite it to restore the disk, however.

Kermit would be my choice, but I prefer to arc (zip?) things
before kermiting, as kermit uses only 70% of bandwidth.  I've
seen references for programs that make kermit scripts to
transfer whole disks.  You should be able to do 38.4Kbaud
on both the Z and a clone.

DJ
dj@ctron.com

pjw@hpctdkr.HP.COM (Peter Walsh) (04/12/91)

/ hpctdkr:comp.sys.zenith.z100 / malpass@LL.MIT.EDU (Don Malpass) /  1:12 pm  Apr 10, 1991 /

[...]
----------

It ends up that the 8" drives for the HZ-100 are functionally
indentical to the 1.2 Meg floppies that come with your generic
AT machine. All you have to do is make a custom cable to connect
the right signals together. I have an HZ-100 and a 386sx clone,
although I have not done this myself I have heard of it being done.
  The next fastest alternative is the new sliding windows version
of Kermit (version 3.10, I think its been ported to the HZ-100)
set to the largest number of windows (32 ?) with 2000 byte packets
and a 3 byte CCITT CRC running at 19.2 K and of course Kermit takes
wild card file specs. If thats not available then one of the older
version of Kermit (2.32 or so) will do the job quite nicely.

By the way... Is anyone interested in buying an HZ-100 ??? How much
are they worth... I heard *rumors* that the Air Force is auctioning
them off here in Colorado Springs for 50 bucks a piece (and thats
WITH a hard disk) If thats all its worth to the general public, then
its worth more to me to keep it.

Peter J. Walsh
Hewlett Packard
Colorado Telecommunication Division