[net.micro] addresses larger than 32 bits

andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (12/20/84)

In discussing addresses larger than 32 bits, remember that those extra
bits pile up additional memory awfully fast.

To build a computer with 48-bit addresses and to give it 2**48 memory
cells, you would need more cells than there are atoms in the Earth.
Addresses bigger than 48 bits are probably not worthwhile, unless you
need a discontiguous (sparse) address space.

  -- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!orca!andrew)       [UUCP]
                       (orca!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

eder@ssc-vax.UUCP (Dani Eder) (12/21/84)

> In discussing addresses larger than 32 bits, remember that those extra
> bits pile up additional memory awfully fast.
>
> To build a computer with 48-bit addresses and to give it 2**48 memory
> cells, you would need more cells than there are atoms in the Earth.
> Addresses bigger than 48 bits are probably not worthwhile, unless you
> need a discontiguous (sparse) address space.
>
>   -- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!orca!andrew)       [UUCP]
>                        (orca!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

2**48 =  281.475 trillion.
If you have 8-bit words, and 1 megabit RAM's, you would need
2,147,483,648 of them.  Assuming you need one cubic inch per
RAM, they would fit in a box 100x100x125 feet.  While this
is a very large amount of memory, it is a long way from even
the number of grains of sand on a large beach, let alone the
atoms in the Earth (about 10**50).

Dani Eder / Boeing Aerospace Company / ssc-vax!eder / (206)773-4545

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (12/22/84)

In article <1258@orca.UUCP> andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) writes:

>To build a computer with 48-bit addresses and to give it 2**48 memory
>cells, you would need more cells than there are atoms in the Earth.
>Addresses bigger than 48 bits are probably not worthwhile, unless you
>need a discontiguous (sparse) address space.

I think you were thinking 10**48, Andy.  2**48 is only 256x10**12.  This is
an easily achievable number.  Terabit memories have been available for over
15 years;  you only need 256 of them to use up 48 bits.

Another way to think of this is that 2**48 is 2**32 times 2**16.  2**32 is 4
gigabytes, or about 8 Eagles.  So you need 65536*8, or 2**16x2**3, or 512K
Eagles to hold 2**48 bits.  That's probably more than the number of Eagles
that will ever be manufactured, but clearly it is a number that will be
achievable in the next decade or two.
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	...!ihnp4!trwrb!desint!geoff