[comp.sys.celerity] Model 500 details

scp@blanche.LANL>GOV (Stephen C. Pope) (02/17/90)

Someone wrote me:
> Stephen,

>        Do you have a description of the 500 architecture
> (instructions, timing, pipelines, etc.)?  We have been unable to dig
> one out of our local people, but we haven't pressed the issue yet.  An
> instruction set manual would have been very helpful in locking down
> the compiler bug that zapped Perl, besides the inherent educational value.
> As it is, I'm guessing at the mnemonics that I get out of the debugger.

>        If you have been able to get such a manual (which I presume
> you'd need to port gcc), that might give us some leverage with the locals.

I haven't had much more luck.  All I have been able to get on this subject
is a handwritten ``wall chart'' that is nearly illegible.  It shows the
opcode <-> mnemonic mappings, with the explaination of the mnemonic
(like ``djibzm'' == ``delayed jump on indicator bit pairs zeros minus'',
which is one of my favorite mind-benders).  No explaination of the
register set, pipelining, flags<->opcodes dependencies, or the assembler
itself.  Needless to say, it would be quite a chore to figure out what
each of the instructions *really* does.  I have it from pretty reliable
sources that this little chart is all that existed about a year ago;
I can't seem to get any info on any newer document.  What I can't believe
is that Celerity and FPS have managed to create this system without any
better documentation internally.

I think we'd all welcome more low level information such as this
dort of stuff; it can only make the machine more usable and interesting
to the world by helping us get real software running.

On another note,  I do wish to commend FPS on their fast response time;
I mentioned the small-mindedness of their cpp a few days ago on the
net, and magically a tape showed up yesterday with a bigger-tabled cpp!
Thanks a million!

stephen pope
advanced computing lab, lanl
scp@acl.lanl.gov

ps.  yes, I know that two copies of my postings seem to escape.
Fixed Real Soon Now.

mercer@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) (02/20/90)

In article <SCP.90Feb16092214@blanche.LANL>GOV> scp@acl.lanl.gov writes:
:
:Someone wrote me:
:> Stephen,
:
[...]

I think the celerity uses the NCR/32 VLSI CPU chip.  I have in my
hands the _NCR/32 General Information Manual_ (c)1984 (ST-2104-23)
and it does have a one page description of djibzm.  I think you'll
find it explains everything in adequate detail.

There's an 800 number on the back:

NCR VLSI Processor Products
NCR Microelectronics Division
Colorado Springs, Colorado