[comp.os.xinu] Macintosh Xinu

dji@sbcs.sunysb.edu (David J Iannucci) (03/02/88)

Hi,

	If you're using the Macintosh version of Xinu, I'd appreciate
hearing from you by e-mail.

					Thanks
						Dave
--
Dave "initiative comes to those who wait" Iannucci          SUNY at Stony Brook
UUCP: {allegra, philabs, pyramid, research}!sbcs!dji         CSnet: dji@suny-sb

afoster@ogcvax.UUCP (Allan Foster) (04/07/88)

In article <sbcs.1006> dji@sbcs.sunysb.edu (David J Iannucci) writes:
>Hi,
>
>	If you're using the Macintosh version of Xinu, I'd appreciate
>hearing from you by e-mail.
>
>					Thanks
>						Dave
So would I!!

Please mail me at afoster@cse.ogc.edu
or ...!tektronix!ogcvax!afoster

Thanx !!!

--
Allan Foster      UUCP  : tektronix!ogcvax!afoster
CSNet : afoster@cse.ogc.edu      GEnie  : A.FOSTER

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (04/08/88)

Please post a message if someone runs Xinu, I am sure others on the net
would be interested.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
|                              Watch This space                              |
| That government is best which governs least, because its people            |
| discipline themselves.                                                     |
|                              - Thomas Jefferson                            |
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
| Mark Interrante                                            CIS Department  |
|                                                     University of Florida  |
| Internet:  mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu                   Gainesville, FL  32611  |
|                                                            (904) 335-8047  |
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

norman@a.cs.okstate.EDU (Norman Graham) (05/17/88)

Is a version of Xinu available for the Macintosh?  If so...

    What hardware is required?
    How can it be obtained?
    How much does it cost?
    What book does it correspond to?
    Is there anything else one should know about it?

Thanks for the info.
--
Norman Graham
Oklahoma State University              Internet:  norman@a.cs.okstate.edu

sbm@PURDUE.EDU (05/18/88)

     A version of Xinu for the Macintosh is available.  It runs on
Macintosh 512K, Macintosh Plus, and Macintosh II (we do not have a Mac
SE to test it on).  If an AppleTalk network is connected, Xinu will send
and receive UDP packets, including rwho packets.  If a time server is
available, Xinu will set its clock from the time server, and, if a name
server is available, it will get its host name.  If the AppleTalk
network has a Kinetics FastPath gateway to an Ethernet with the Xinu
file server (which runs on UNIX), it can read and write files over the
network.

     Xinu is compiled with the Aztec C compiler, version 3.5A.
Compiling it requires about 2.5 Mbytes of disk space plus whatever
the C compiler takes up.  Hence, a Macintosh that compiles Xinu needs
either a hard disk or access to a file server.  There are software
packages available that share a hard disk on a Macintosh over an
AppleTalk network or share UNIX file space among Macintoshes.

     Macintosh Xinu is a port of version 7 (book 2) Xinu.  It does not
have a tty driver or disk driver.  Instead, it maintains text window
devices with I/O operations similar to those of the tty driver.  Instead
of handling hardware interrupts, Macintosh Xinu responds to events
supplied by the Macintosh operating system, such as key presses and
presses of the mouse button.  Since AppleTalk does not have ARP, the ARP
and RARP code has been replaced with code that uses Apple's Name Binding
Protocol (NBP) to get IP-to-AppleTalk address bindings.

     In addition, Macintosh Xinu contains features that are not in the
book version of Xinu.  There are new devices called STDIN, STDOUT, and
STDERR that are bound to a different real device for each process; these
are used for UNIX-like standard I/O, and their bindings can be changed
dynamically for I/O redirection, e.g., to a file or window.  There is a
device that maintains a per-process default prefix, which can be printed
and changed, similar to the UNIX notion of current working directory.

     To order Macintosh Xinu, send mail to

     Xinu Librarian
     Computer Science Dept.
     Purdue University
     West Lafayette  IN  47907

or send electronic mail to xinu-librarian@purdue.edu.  The cost is $200,
payable to Steven Munson.  The Xinu source comes on two Macintosh 800K
diskettes, and the Kinetics gateway software and Xinu remote file server
come on a 9-track tar format tape.

Note:  There are new features since the distributed version was
delivered, such as being able to boot when there is no Kinetics gateway
and persistent text windows, which do not disappear when they are
closed.  If you want the latest version, send us your original Xinu
distribution disks, and we will update them.

					Steve Munson
					sbm@Purdue.EDU
					sbm@Purdue.CSNET