[comp.os.xinu] Memory Management using Buddy Alg. HELP!

ambarry@vax1.tcd.ie (Just dial 1-212-976-TART (Brooklyn/Queens/NYC/LI only)) (04/24/89)

Hello,
	Do any enlightened people out there have any suggestions as to how I
might use the Buddy Alg. to improve memory management in Xinu?

	This is a project I have to do, so while the actual solution itself
would be appreciated(:->), the theory behind the whole thing would be even
better.

	Thanx,
		Adrian Barry.

comer@CS.PURDUE.EDU (Douglas Comer) (04/25/89)

Adrian,

   The buddy algorithm is documented in Knuth, Art of Computer
Programming, but I'm not sure what you expect to improve.  Do you
have a reason to believe that in your system requests for memory
will always be exactly (or just less than) powers of 2 in size?  Do
you have fragmentation problems now?  Also, do you understand that
the non-virtual memory system carefully separates stack and heap
allocation in an attempt to keep persistent memory allocation separate
from stack allocation?

   I suggest that you read knuth's discussion of various memory
management tecniques and some of the subsequent papers before you
jump into coding.

Cheers,
Doug

serge@imag.imag.fr (Serge Rouveyrol) (04/26/89)

In article <40268@vax1.tcd.ie> ambarry@vax1.tcd.ie (Just dial 1-212-976-TART (Brooklyn/Queens/NYC/LI only)) writes:
>Hello,
>	Do any enlightened people out there have any suggestions as to how I
>might use the Buddy Alg. to improve memory management in Xinu?

see the book of Knuth, Fundamental Algorithm, The art of computer programming
Addison-Wesley, chapter Dynamic storage allocation
and   Communications of the ACM october 1973 Volume 16 number 10
the article A class of Dynamic memory allocation Algorithms, Hirschberg
---
ps)  Students of Grenoble implement Buddy Alg on Xinu
--
"Les jours de pluie ...  etc ... "
serge@imag.imag.fr      serge@imag.UUCP      uunet.uu.net!imag!serge