[comp.os.xinu] Is XINU available for the ATT 7300 / 3b1 / UnixPC?

charles@c3pe.c3.com (charles Green) (03/18/90)

I'm considering the purchase of an ATT 3b1, and was wondering if XINU is
available for the beast.  I've seen mention of Mac and (of course) IBM PC
ports.

Pleae reply and I'll summarize.

Thanks,		Charles Green		charles@c3.com

alex@otter.acslab.umbc.edu (Alex S. Crain) (03/18/90)

In article <8470@c3pe.C3.COM> charles@c3pe.c3.com (charles Green) writes:
>I'm considering the purchase of an ATT 3b1, and was wondering if XINU is
>available for the beast.  I've seen mention of Mac and (of course) IBM PC
>ports.

	Why? It comes with a nice unix, and employs runtime loading of
device drivers which means that you can do unix driver development
without the usual compile driver, load kernel, boot system cycle (now
its compile driver, load it into the kernel, crash system, reboot :-).

	Seriously, I don't think that ther is a port of xinu to the
raw hardware, and I think that I would have heard of one if there was.
I've heard about a port that runs as a single process under unix (with
xinu processes running ala threads), or you could probably port the
mac code easy enough, the hardware is pretty straightforward.

	In fact, the CT mmu hardware is simple enough that you could
probably implement a simple VM scheme without much trouble.
#Disclamer: Anyone who agrees   #    University of Maryland Baltimore County
#with me deserves what they get.#	alex@umbc3.umbc.edu