[comp.os.xinu] XINU for the 80960CA

chris@gestetner.oz.au (Mario Mendes) (08/20/90)

This is actually for johnr@systech, sorry but I couldn't seem to get to you directly over
email - our network doesn't seem to like your address. Here's the letter:

Date: Fri, 17 Aug 90 10:48:08 EST
From: chris@gestetner (Mario Mendes)
To: systech!johnr@uunet
Subject:  XINU

John,

I have done a fair amount of reading about the 960 and XINU and I think
that I have overcome some major hurdles. I will probably start porting
over the next two weeks.

The target is the EV960CA evaluation board . Last year, a student working
for us ported XINU to a 68000 board of our own design. It was very successful.

The main problems that we had then were data types. That was overcome and it
made XINU a bit more portable. As for the 960CA, context switching and task
creation seem to pose the biggest problems. Also, on the 960, the stack grows
from low to high addresses - XINU assumes the opposite in some places, most
notably, in the memory allocation area.

The 960 has 3 stacks, which can make context switching a pain - I have
thought of ways to overcome this and I will try them out a.s.a.p.

We have been contacted by another company in Australia wo is also porting
XINU to the 960. We are investigating a joint venture so , just now, I am
not able to communicate too much because we have not yet discussed the terms
of our agreement ( ie: non-disclosure clauses etc.).

I am very keen to share ideas with you so please keep in touch. I am meeting
with the engineers from this other company next week ( Labtam - they make X
terminals and workstations ) and I will contact you as soon as we have come
to an understanding.

I am very appreciative of your response. It certainly makes the world seem
like a better place !

Chris Mendes
Design Engineer ( Software Systems )
Gestetner Lasers Pty Ltd
12 A Rodborough Rd
Frenches Forest
NSW 2086

Ph: +61 2 975 0555 x546
Fx: +61 2 975 0448

ps: please send me your fax number a.s.a.p.