[comp.os.xinu] SIO drivers for PC/XINU

kts@quintro.uucp (Kenneth T. Smelcer) (01/10/91)

I'm looking for serial port drivers for the PC version of Xinu.  I want
to use Xinu as the core of a multi-port communications program, but I
need drivers that will talk to the UARTs and the Interrupt controller.

Anyone know where I could find this?

Thanks!
--
--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--
Ken Smelcer        Glenayre Corp.           quintro!kts@lll-winken

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (01/10/91)

kts@quintro.uucp (Kenneth T. Smelcer) writes:

>I'm looking for serial port drivers for the PC version of Xinu.  I want
>to use Xinu as the core of a multi-port communications program, but I
>need drivers that will talk to the UARTs and the Interrupt controller.

>Anyone know where I could find this?

  There are no serial drivers that "come" with XINU. In fact, the book
leaves it as an excercise. You might try CTASK, which I THINK has some
serial routines. If you can't find it, I'll e-mail you a copy. So either
that or write your own.
  In case somebody has written a set, could you forward me a copy? Thanx.

-e.b.

  Eric Berggren             |   "Round and round the while() loop goes;
  Computer Science/Eng.     |         Whether it stops," Turing says,
  berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu  |         "nobody knows."

fossum@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (Timothy Fossum) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.165137.15021@quintro.uucp> kts@quintro.uucp (Kenneth T. Smelcer) writes:
>I'm looking for serial port drivers for the PC version of Xinu.  I want
>to use Xinu as the core of a multi-port communications program, but I
>need drivers that will talk to the UARTs and the Interrupt controller.
>
>Anyone know where I could find this?

The network version of PC-Xinu, which incorporates all the code and
features of both Volume I and Volume II of Comer's "Operating System
Design" books, includes an interrupt-driven device driver for SLIP
(Serial Line IP) packets for point-to-point network connections.  This
driver can clearly be modified to serve as a low-level terminal driver
as well.  Send mail to fossum@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu if you would like
information about ordering a copy of PC-Xinu Net.
Timothy Fossum -- UW-Parkside -- Wood Road, Box No. 2000 -- Kenosha, WI 53141
Department of Applied Computer Science -- fossum@scylla.uwp.wisc.edu (Internet)