[comp.os.xinu] Is posting srcs/bins OK here?

lark@greylock.tivoli.com (Lar Kaufman) (04/23/91)

I've taken the liberty of picking up this thread and cross-posting it to
comp.os.minix
and comp.os.xinu since it seems germane to these groups as well -
especially as my
comments are inserted.

In article <22.Apr.91.174055.49@cogsci.cog.jhu.edu>,
wjb@cogsci.cog.jhu.edu writes:
  Rens Troost writes:
  >I've been watching the discussion flail along for a while, and I'm of the
  >opinion that this hunger for a c.o.coh tree is a little premature.
  >I'll throw my two cents in-
  >1> sources are useful.
  >2> too many subgroups make archivers lives hard.
  >3> the bandwidth on this group is not high enough to choke any mailer.
  >4> you don't waste an inode on another directory :).
I'll accept this view, but read on...

  	Now, for an alternative point of view.  I think that having separate
  discussion and source groups makes it easier to archive the "important"
  stuff.  It requires less work for archivers who actually care about the
  quality of their archives as opposed to the number of megabytes and makes
  it easier for users of the archives to actually find things.  That is why
  I'm supporting the current proposal to split comp.os.minix.  I suspect that
  Rens and I are on the opposite sides of that discussion in comp.os.minix as
  well.
This argument may well be applicable to comp.os.minix, but it doesn't hold up
for comp.os.coherent.  comp.os.coherent is too new to offer much in the way of
choices between what is "important" stuff and what is not.  Also, as Coherent
is a solid implementation in itself, most additional offerings for it
are either
much wanted or small (trivial?) sources.

  >IFF sources become a problem on this group, then decide to fork another
  >group. But I'd sure be happy to see some sources come this way...especially
  >if they're easily portable to MINIX. :)
Now we approach an interesting point: portability.

  	Do it the right way now.  Don't wait till later and have to deal
  with the lethargy of the net and confusing your readers.  Also, if your
  programs are portable to Minix and you have a separate source newsgroup,
  I'll only have to read that one.  :-)

				Bill Bogstad

The lethargy of the net is a myth.  Let's talk about YOUR lethargy.  (You the
reader, not Bill Bogstad in particular.)  I did propose comp.os.coherent
myself,
after studying several Requests for Discussions and Calls for Votes and
studying the guidelines for establishing newsgroups (reprinted frequently on
news.groups).  It was more work than expected, but only because the vote was
much heavier than I expected - gratifyingly so, I might add.  Which is to say,
if you want it and think it is right, Go Ahead.

Now, I am on record as preferring a common sources group for small unixoid
OSes - especially Version 7-flavored OSes.  This greatly enlarges the pool
of developers of useful applications, and also provides a place for people
who don't even have their own support group to post.  For example, users of
QNX, and people who are adding Unix flavored extensions to MS DOS.  For those
who don't want to paw through sources that might not be useful to them, one
can simply list the OSes the source can be compiled for on the Subject line,
as is done to provide separation of interests in some other groups where
cross-pollination of ideas is wanted by most, but not all, readers.

Since I've just done the newgroup formation process, I'm not ready to re-enter
the fray just now.  On the other hand, I'll lend whatever advice and help I
can to someone who would carry this proposal forward.

Failing that, I encourage anyone who has Good Stuff for Coherent to go
ahead and
put the sources in comp.os.coherent (assuming it is already tested for
Coherent).
This is in the tradition of Usenet.  New groups are generally formed on
the basis
of either need or compelling interest.  Neither of those have yet been
demonstrated for comp.os.coherent.sources or comp.unix.sources.coherent or
whatever you would call it.

-lar

Lar Kaufman            I would feel more optimistic about a bright future
(voice) 512-794-9070   for man if he spent less time proving that he can
(fax)   512-794-0623   outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness
lark@tivoli.com        and respecting her seniority.  - E.B. White

wjb@cogsci.cog.jhu.edu (04/24/91)

In article <694@tivoli.UUCP> lark@tivoli.com (Lar Kaufman) writes:
> [actually reposts something I said in comp.os.coherent]
>
>  ...  I think that having separate
>  discussion and source groups makes it easier to archive the "important"
>  stuff.  It requires less work for archivers who actually care about the
>  quality of their archives as opposed to the number of megabytes and makes
>  it easier for users of the archives to actually find things. ...

	The above was not a comment about a specific archiver of Coherent/
Minix/Unix/or any other systems software or discussions.  I access many
archives via ftp on a regular basis and they are all appreciated.  If any
maintainer of an archive site was offended by the statements above, please
accept this public apology.  I'll slow down in the future and pay more
attention to what I'm typing...

				Bill Bogstad
				wjb@cogsci.cog.jhu.edu