[comp.os.xinu] How do I get Xinu?

steve@hacker.UUCP (Stephen M. Youndt) (04/28/91)

The subject line says most of it.  How do I get the Xinu source code?  And is
it available for the Motorola 68000?  I'm planning on hacking it into a
ROMable, realtime kernel for a home project.

Please reply via e-mail, as we don't recieve this newsgroup here.  Thanks in
advance.

smy
--
Stephen M. Youndt   / "Every heart, when sifted well, is a clot of warmer
uunet!hacker!steve /   dust, Mix'd with cunning sparks of hell." -- Tennyson

cro@cs.arizona.edu (Charles R. Oldham) (05/08/91)

Better yet, what is Xinu?  I've heard bits and pieces about it, but I have
no idea what it is (a version of Unix?), or what it runs on.

	Thanks for your patience with an ignorant soul...

* Charles R. (C. R.) Oldham                   | Bitnet: OLDHAM@ARIZRVAX       *
* Department of Computer Science              | Internet:                     *
* University of Arizona                       | (Preferred)                   *
* Tucson, Arizona                             |   cro@caslon.cs.arizona.edu   *
* USA                                         |or oldham@rvax.ccit.arizona.edu*
*                                             | IXOYE                         *
*  #include <disclaimer.yuk>                                                  *

cdh@mtu.edu (Chris Hooper) (05/11/91)

From what I know about Xinu (please correct me if I am wrong)
it is another (almost) Unix clone along the lines of Minix.
It is far further in its infancy than Minix, however, from what
I remember, it has been ported to more hardware than Minix
currently.

I know it is available for the Macintosh and a couple other
computers (work might already be underway for an Amiga conversion).
Sorry, but that's about all I know at the time.

- Chris Hooper      Computing Technology Services Consultant
  cdh@mtu.edu       Michigan Technological University

Also: cdh@mtus5.mtu.edu CDH@MTUS5.Bitnet and cdhooper@symmetry.cs.mtu.edu

dls@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (David L Stevens) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May11.075817.15643@mtu.edu>, cdh@mtu.edu (Chris Hooper) writes:
> From what I know about Xinu (please correct me if I am wrong)
> it is another (almost) Unix clone along the lines of Minix.

	You're wrong. :-)

	Xinu has nothing at all to do with UNIX, other than that they are both
modern operating systems. The system call set, the implementation, etc are all
completely different. Xinu stands for:

	Xinu
	Is
	Not
	UNIX

	And it really isn't. :-)
--
					+-DLS  (dls@mentor.cc.purdue.edu)

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May11.075817.15643@mtu.edu> cdh@mtu.edu (Chris Hooper) writes:
>If I remember, it [XINU] has been ported to more hardware than Minix
>currently.

MINIX currently runs on:
  - IBM PC, XT, AT, 386, PS/2, and friends
  - Commodore Amiga
  - Apple Macintosh
  - Atari ST
  - SPARC (this is not available yet; the others are)

A MINIX information sheet and demo disk can be gotten by FTP from ftp.cs.vu.nl
in directory minix/demo.  The current MINIX is about halfway POSIX conformant.

I'm sure Doug can provide the corresponding info on XINU.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)