[comp.sys.dec.micro] Keeping my Rainbow healthy

GTHEALL@PENNDRLN.BITNET (George A. Theall) (11/29/87)

Hello,

  Can anyone tell me whether leaving a Rainbow on all the time is
a bad idea? I've heard turning a machine on is the time when it's
most susceptible to damage, so I've been leaving mine on. Is this
likely to lead to problems later on? For instance, with the monitor
or the fan, which runs continually? With HISTORY installed, I don't
have to worry about images getting burned into my CRT, but is there
a chance of it losing its brightness? What's the word?

George

art@MITRE.ARPA (Art McClinton) (11/30/87)

I own two rainbows that have been left on for the last 3 years.  No problems.
My Dad turns his off if he leaves the room for any reason.  Many problems.

Electronics does not like to be turned off and on.  I have surge protectors
on all of my machines.  One runs fido when ever it is not running Freestyle,
Mass11, or DBASE III.  The other just idles when it is not in use.   I have
VR241 color monitors on both machines.

The best bet would be to power down if the machine will not be used for extended
periods of time.  Say of the order of 16-24 hours.  I do power down about
once every six months to vaccumm the air filters.  The power supply and fan
do work much better when the dog hair and other crud is removed from the
air intakes.

*
*---Art
*
*Arthur T. McClinton Jr.     ARPA: ART@MITRE.ARPA
*Mitre Corporation MS-Z305   Phone: 703-883-6356
*1820 Dolley Madison Blvd    Internal Mitre: ART@MWVMS or M10319@MWVM
*McLean, Va. 22102           DECUS DCS: MCCLINTON
*

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (11/30/87)

In article <8711291625.AA06523@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> GTHEALL@PENNDRLN.BITNET (George A. Theall) writes:
>Hello,
>
>  Can anyone tell me whether leaving a Rainbow on all the time is
>a bad idea? I've heard turning a machine on is the time when it's
>most susceptible to damage, so I've been leaving mine on. Is this
>likely to lead to problems later on? For instance, with the monitor
>or the fan, which runs continually? With HISTORY installed, I don't
>have to worry about images getting burned into my CRT, but is there
>a chance of it losing its brightness? What's the word?
>
>George

Well, I have 2 Rainbows that are running as FidoNet nodes (109/74 and
109/483).  Neither of these is EVER turned off, except for periodic
maintenance (vacume the dust out) or irregular power failures.  The
Bear's Den (109/74) has been running at home for almost 3.5 years
without a problem.  However, I just had to replace the RX-50 controller,
but I think this was more due to old-age (it was a used machine 3+ years
ago) than being on continuously.

A question.  Since the screen on a Rainbow auto-blanks after 30 minutes
of inactivity, why does HISTORY solve any screen burn problems?

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) (12/02/87)

In article <672@hadron.UUCP> klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) writes:
>In article <8711291625.AA06523@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> GTHEALL@PENNDRLN.BITNET
   (George A. Theall) writes:
>>                                   With HISTORY installed, I don't
>>have to worry about images getting burned into my CRT, but is there
>>a chance of it losing its brightness? What's the word?
>>
>>George
>
>A question.  Since the screen on a Rainbow auto-blanks after 30 minutes
>of inactivity, why does HISTORY solve any screen burn problems?

   One of HISTORY's features is to blank the screen within about 8 minutes
   instead of the normal 30 minutes.

   Just thought you'd all like to know...

   Alan

   Alan I. Vymetalik  @  {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917
   J.A.M, Inc.                       |   Prism Software Designs
   300 Main Street                   |   44 Arborwood Crescent
   East Rochester, New York, 14445   |   Rochester, New York, 14615-3807
                                     |   1-716-458-4932
   DISCLAIMER:   The above statements and opinions belong to the author.
   Any resemblence to statements found in actual reality is purely coin-
   cidental.  And, as always, the above opinions have absolutely nothing
   to do with the little, fat man putting $100 bills in my pocket.