[comp.sys.dec.micro] Memory mapped video

GTHEALL@PENNDRLN.BITNET.UUCP (12/06/87)

Hello Netland,

    Does anyone know of a good reference for the Rainbow's video
memory map? I've seen the Technical Reference manual, but that's
not much help. I already know how to access the character and
attribute data, but there are other flags, pointers, stacks, and
misc. items stored from EE00:0 - EF00:FFFF which I'm not aware of.
There are probably no manuals on the subject, but what about
source code? Miscellaneous text files?

    I'm interested in learning, for instance, whether there is a
way to sense the screen size within a routine. Also, I've tried
to save and restore the video by creating a copy of the entire
8k video map. I'm using Turbo Pascal to do this. Saving the screen
works fine, but when I restore it, I run into trouble. For example,
I will sometime have the program auto-repeat the <RETURN> key. Or
if I start scrolling after saving the screen, then restore it, the
screen display becomes garbage. I've tried this type of thing in
assembly language with some success, but I'd rather not program
in assembler. Is there something I'm not doing properly? Is this
even possible within Turbo?

George

D-ROGERS@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA (12/07/87)

	i suspect that your screen restore routine doesn't reset the map
pointer.  it has to be in a known, repeatable, location at save and restore.
Otherwise you only get a portion of what you saved or scans don't line
up to form *real* characters.			[dale]
-------

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) (12/16/87)

In article <8712071009.AA18483@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> GTHEALL@PENNDRLN.BITNET (George A. Theall) writes:
>Hello Netland,
>
>    Does anyone know of a good reference for the Rainbow's video
>memory map? I've seen the Technical Reference manual, but that's
>not much help. I already know how to access the character and
>attribute data, but there are other flags, pointers, stacks, and
>misc. items stored from EE00:0 - EF00:FFFF which I'm not aware of.
>There are probably no manuals on the subject, but what about
>source code? Miscellaneous text files?
>
>    I'm interested in learning, for instance, whether there is a
>way to sense the screen size within a routine. Also, I've tried
>to save and restore the video by creating a copy of the entire
>8k video map. I'm using Turbo Pascal to do this. Saving the screen
>works fine, but when I restore it, I run into trouble. For example,
>I will sometime have the program auto-repeat the <RETURN> key. Or
>if I start scrolling after saving the screen, then restore it, the
>screen display becomes garbage. I've tried this type of thing in
>assembly language with some success, but I'd rather not program
>in assembler. Is there something I'm not doing properly? Is this
>even possible within Turbo?
>
>George

   Keep an eye on this newsgroup for ...

   A TurboPascal 3.01 and TurboPascal V4.0B version of many of my
   routines for accessing the TEXT and ATTRIBUTE RAM segments for
   the high speed video display option, cursor control, keyboard
   scanning (characters and detecting 16 different types of key-
   stroke combinations: regular, lower-case characters to CONTROL-
   SHIFT-LOCK-FUNCTION key combinations), accessing several special
   storage bytes for things like the current screen width and
   finding the first line in the linked-list structure the Rainbow
   uses for its display.

   With these routines you can be build some fancy displays and
   windowing functions.  Lots os possibilities.

   I'm finishing up the comments now.  Look for RBDEMO3 within the
   next day or so.  It'll be only source code and it's FREE!

   Enjoy,
   Alan

   Alan I. Vymetalik  @  {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917
   J.A.M, Inc.                       |   Prism Software Designs
   300 Main Street                   |   44 Arborwood Crescent
   East Rochester, New York, 14445   |   Rochester, New York, 14615-3807
                                     |   1-716-458-4932
   DISCLAIMER:   The above statements and opinions belong to the author.
   Any resemblence to statements found in actual reality is purely coin-
   cidental.  And, as always, the above opinions have absolutely nothing
   to do with the little, fat man putting $100 bills in my pocket.