[comp.sys.dec.micro] KERMIT and back issues

ciaraldi@cs.rochester.edu (Mike Ciaraldi) (12/20/87)

In article <8712162237.AA17642@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> GTHEALL@PENNDRLN.BITNET (George A. Theall) writes:

>    I recently installed a new Rainbow version of KERMIT - ver. 2.29.1
>created on 7/4/87.
>    For those of you already using KERMIT, I have a question. I'm
>using v2.29.1 on my Rainbow and 3.1 on a IBM 370-series mainframe
>(to which I connect thru a 7171 protocol convertor). I have a
>Panasonic 1091i printer connected to my Rainbow and would like to
>print files from the mainframe without the hassle of downloading
>them to the Rainbow. From the documentation I get the idea this
>is possible, but whenever I try to use the XTYPE File command the
>file goes to the screen rather than the printer. What should I
>do to have the file printed? I've also tried sending an escape
>sequence to turn print controller on, but it doesn't appear to
>be accepted by the Rainbow. Does anybody else have experience
>with Rainbows and IBM mainframes?

I have been using the IBM PC version of MS-Kermit for
quite a while.  It is presently up to Version 2.29C,
last update October 26, 1987, I think.
The Rainbow version is lagging a little behind.

This version, as in previous ones, you can activate
printer echo with Control-PrtSc, which then sends
everything it gets from the remote host to
both the screen and the printer.

The newest version adds controls for stripping certain things from
what is sent to the printer (e.g. control characters), and supports
the escape sequences the VT100 uses to send stuff automatically to
the printer.

Download file MST29C.DOC for the latest documentation.
Once this is stable, this version will become 2.30, and will
be available for the Rainbow and other MS-DOS machines.

Ironically, this thing of activating the printer remotely is
what I want to do on a VT-180 Robin while using Kermit
(as in my posting last month), and I am still trying to do that.

Mike Ciaraldi
arpa:  ciaraldi@cs.rochester.edu
uucp:  seismo!rochester!ciaraldi