[comp.sys.dec.micro] MSDOS v3.1

D-ROGERS@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA (01/06/88)

	I've been seeing a few references to an allegedly mythical
upgrade for Rainbow MSDOS, including a call for pressure on DEC to
release it to us, the users.  Contrary to various opinions, DEC has
issued v3.1, at least to Ford Motor Company.  Ford dealers using
Rainbows for their DCS system which handles a lot of stuff regarding
their car sales and reordering, use a version that has been patched
in the .SYS files to display a Ford Motor Company message after the
Microsoft copyright message.  It says 3.1!  (and its command.com
isn't compatible with v2.11.  Don't know if this gives the rest of
us any leverage or not.			[dale]
-------

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) (01/07/88)

[(I) (B)attered (M)y (P)ersonal [(C)omputer | (S)ystem] today!]

In article <12364270337.12.D-ROGERS@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA> D-ROGERS@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA writes:

>	I've been seeing a few references to an allegedly mythical
>upgrade for Rainbow MSDOS, including a call for pressure on DEC to
>release it to us, the users.  Contrary to various opinions, DEC has
>issued v3.1, at least to Ford Motor Company.  Ford dealers using
>Rainbows for their DCS system which handles a lot of stuff regarding
>their car sales and reordering, use a version that has been patched
>in the .SYS files to display a Ford Motor Company message after the
>Microsoft copyright message.  It says 3.1!  (and its command.com
>isn't compatible with v2.11.  Don't know if this gives the rest of
>us any leverage or not.			[dale]

   Dale,

      MS-DOS 3.10 does exist, as you note, at Ford Motor Company.  They
   put A LOT of pressure on DEC to give them a copy of the completed
   version 3.10.  Ford is a big customer for DEC so it stands to reason
   they would pull more weight than, say, you or I (or us both together).
   In fact, the "bootleg" copies of 3.10 floating around generally have
   a reference to DOS DCS Version in their boot message (this is, of
   course, what I heard).

      Put the pressure on DEC.  Write to Ron Gemma at DEC (he used to be
   in charge of the PC group).  Write to Ken Olsen.  Send a cc to
   Carolyn Mack at "Rainbow News", P.O. Box 567, O'Fallon, IL 62269-0567.
   The more people that beg or demand 3.10 the better chance we'll have
   to see it "officially" released.  Official, however, may mean that
   a third-party company may acquire the rights to 3.10 and perform the
   the support for it as long as they can.  One of the companies rumored
   to be in the running is Suitable Solutions.

   Enjoy,
   Alan

   All e-mails to:   {allegra | seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917
   All flames to:    !lostnode!hades!flmbckt
   Alan I. Vymetalik       | Standard Disclaimer:  The above statements
   Prism Software Designs  | and opinions belong to the author.  Any
   44 Arborwood Crescent   | resemblence to statements found in actual
   Rochester, New York     | reality is simply coincidence.  And, as
   14615-3807              | always, the above opinions have absolutely
   (716)-458-4932 8am-10pm | nothing to do with the little, fat man
   (leave message)         | putting $100 bills in my pocket.