[comp.sys.dec.micro] BIOS code for DEC Rainbow

rgt@LANL.GOV (Richard Thomsen) (01/22/88)

I sent this out once before, but it seems to have been lost.  Now I am
sending it out to the whole mailing list.

I have an ARChive file containing the differences between my version of the
Rainbow BIOS and DEC's version.  Do you want it?  How can it be distributed?
It is about 75 K bytes in ARCHIVE format, with another 35K for the disk
caching programs.

I also have written a program to do a subset of the GKS graphics standard
for a PIXY-3 plotter from the Rainbow.  I was intending to put in the code
to do Rainbow graphics, but have not yet done so.  It is all written in C.
I have the DEC graphics library for the Rainbow, but have not integrated it
into my graphics system.  Do you want these too?  This is about 225K bytes,
including the Hershey font data that was once posted to the net.

Suggestions are welcome, but I seem to have trouble answering electronic
mail.  Most times I get replies returned with unknown addresses.

						Richard Thomsen

						Mountain Route Box 234
						Jemez Springs, NM  87025

Note:   DEC and Rainbow are trademarks of Digital Equipment Corporation.

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) (01/23/88)

In article <8801221445.AA17020@LANL.GOV> rgt@LANL.GOV (Richard Thomsen) writes:
>I sent this out once before, but it seems to have been lost.  Now I am
>sending it out to the whole mailing list.
>
>I have an ARChive file containing the differences between my version of the
>Rainbow BIOS and DEC's version.  Do you want it?  How can it be distributed?
>It is about 75 K bytes in ARCHIVE format, with another 35K for the disk
>caching programs.
>
>I also have written a program to do a subset of the GKS graphics standard
>for a PIXY-3 plotter from the Rainbow.  I was intending to put in the code
>to do Rainbow graphics, but have not yet done so.  It is all written in C.
>I have the DEC graphics library for the Rainbow, but have not integrated it
>into my graphics system.  Do you want these too?  This is about 225K bytes,
>including the Hershey font data that was once posted to the net.
>
>Suggestions are welcome, but I seem to have trouble answering electronic
>mail.  Most times I get replies returned with unknown addresses.
>

>						Richard Thomsen
>
>						Mountain Route Box 234
>						Jemez Springs, NM  87025
>
>Note:   DEC and Rainbow are trademarks of Digital Equipment Corporation.

   RICHARD!

   I've tried writing you before.  I hope you see this on the net...

   From what I've read of your earlier postings, you're the *miracle*
   many Rainbow owners have been needing for years (we so foolishly
   thought DEC was going to be the saving angel!).

   Your DIF archive for the BIOS and cache ...and the GKS software...
   and the Hershey font set... are all welcome!  Please send them out.
   As of the first of the year, DEC no longer sells the Rainbow.
   That's all DEC wrote.  Kaput.  Finished!

   Split the archives into fairly small chunks (about 30-40K each).
   Then, upload and UUENCODE and SHIP THE SUCKERS!  There are people out
   on the net just waiting to see this stuff (including me!).
   Just think, I could actually put REAL floppy drives on my Rainbow
   (maybe even the newer 1.44 3 1/2" drives!) and do faster backups!

   Let DEC get bent out of shape!  It's their own fault.  Just like
   I have no respect for a parent that doesn't help its gifted child
   attain all that child can do, neither do I have respect for a
   company that let such a wonderful machine pass away in disgrace...
   without even a final hurrah.  Nothing.  Nada.  They let it slither
   away, crying.

   Alan

   (If you want to ship the sources, contact me directly!  Posting them
   probably would get DEC all bent.  I am at least interested in knowing
   how you did what you did!)

   All e-mails to:   {allegra | seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917
   All flames to:    !lostnode!hades!flmbckt
   Alan I. Vymetalik       | Standard Disclaimer:  The above statements
   Prism Software Designs  | and opinions belong to the author.  Any
   44 Arborwood Crescent   | resemblence to statements found in actual
   Rochester, New York     | reality is simply coincidence.  And, as
   14615-3807              | always, the above opinions have absolutely
   (716)-458-4932 (8-10pm) | nothing to do with the little, fat man
   (leave message)         | putting $100 bills in my pocket.