[comp.sys.dec.micro] MS-KERMIT 2.30

GTHEALL@PENNDRLN.BITNET (George A. Theall) (02/01/88)

    Has anyone out there managed to get a valid copy of MS-KERMIT 2.30
for the Rainbow from Columbia. If I FTP from CU20B I get a file whose
lines end with LF, not CR/LF combinations as expected. If I request
the same file from KERMSRV@CUVMA the BOO file fails the integrity
test when I try to un-BOO it. Before writing to Columbia I wondered
whether others have experienced problems or whether I'm doing
something wrong.

George

P.S. For those who didn't read the recent posting, v2.30 is similar
to v2.29c except that it also includes a simple script language
facility.

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (02/03/88)

In article <8801312103.AA03513@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> GTHEALL@PENNDRLN.BITNET (George A. Theall) writes:

>    Has anyone out there managed to get a valid copy of MS-KERMIT 2.30
>for the Rainbow from Columbia. If I FTP from CU20B I get a file whose
>lines end with LF, not CR/LF combinations as expected. If I request
>the same file from KERMSRV@CUVMA the BOO file fails the integrity
>test when I try to un-BOO it. Before writing to Columbia I wondered
>whether others have experienced problems or whether I'm doing
>something wrong.

By the time you read this, both the RAINBOW and GRiD versions of Kermit
version 3.0 will be available on The Pot of Gold (1:109/483) for
download from the communications file area.  The phone number is
1-703-359-6549 (sorry, not 2400 baud yet).

 Kurt Reisler (703) 359-6100
 UNISIG Chairman, DECUS US Chapter                       | Hadron, Inc.
 ..{uunet|sundc|rlgvax|netxcom|decuac}!hadron!klr        | 9990 Lee Highway
 Sysop, Fido 109/74  The Bear's Den   (703) 671-0598     | Suite 481
 Sysop, Fido 109/483 The Pot of Gold  (703) 359-6549     | Fairfax, VA 22030

SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU (Frank da Cruz) (02/03/88)

The .BOO file is a regular text file.  When you try to FTP it from CU20B,
you should have your FTP program set up for text files.  From your message,
it sounds like you're FTPing to a Unix system, which would explain why the
lines end with LF rather than CRLF.  Which is fine, because that's the text
file format for Unix.  Then when you download to the PC for unbooing, the
LFs have to be converted back to CRLFs, the text-file line delimiter for
MS-DOS.  If you use Kermit to download, then make sure it's in text (not
binary or image) mode, which is the default.  In other words, if you're
using Unix Kermit, don't include the -i switch on the command line, and don't
give the command 'set file type binary'.

If you're having trouble with a copy you got over BITNET from KERMSRV, that
means that somewhere along the line, somebody's ASCII/EBCDIC translation
tables are not "standard", i.e. they don't agree with what's listed in the
IBM System/370 Reference Card.
-------