[comp.sys.dec.micro] Kermit v2.29.1

pfh%cuthry.DECnet@CUCOND.PHYS.COLUMBIA.EDU ("CUTHRY::PFH") (02/04/88)

I have a question about Kermit v2.29.1, the old version that does
vt220 emulation on a Rainbow.

I have been running it on a 100A and it doesn't seem to do the emulation
completely -- The insert character function doesn't seem to work.  Most
applications don't use this function, so its not very noticeable, however
my termcap for VI does and KERMIT seems to ignore the insert character.

The termcap runs perfectly with a real vt220 and running KERMIT in debug
mode shows it parsing the escape sequence.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Do I have a bad copy?  Is it because
I have a 100A?

Thanks.
				Paul Hsieh
				pfh@cuthry (BITNET)
				pfh%cuthry.decnet@cucond.columbia.edu (ARPA)
				39 Pupin Lab Columbia Univ NYC 10027 (US Mail)
------

jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) (02/05/88)

In article <8802032118.AA24217@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, pfh%cuthry.DECnet@CUCOND.PHYS.COLUMBIA.EDU ("CUTHRY::PFH") writes:
> I have a question about Kermit v2.29.1, the old version that does
> vt220 emulation on a Rainbow.

I have a more basic question.  Is there really a way to get a Rainbow to
respond like a vt220?  I'm new to this newsgroup and am managing three
rainbows that often talk to VMS.  I have, in the past, been accepting fate
and using the builtin vt102 firmware.  Does kermit (even poorly) know about
a vt220?

BTW--could pfh be having trouble with unix?  I mean, VMS supports an 8 bit
world and real 220's have both 8 bit and 7 bit support.  Unix normally
provides a 7 bit world...

--
	John Campbell               ...!arizona!naucse!jdc

	unix?  Sure send me a dozen, all different colors.

art@ccelsn.arpa (Art McClinton (703)883-6356) (02/06/88)

I do not fully understand which features of the VT220 you want on the Rainbow.
The closest packages I have found are Kermit 2.29.1 and TurboComm.  Both are
public domain and have some problems.  Neither allows down loading of fonts.
One of them understands alternate cursor mode and the other does not.  Both
use 7 bit escape sequences.  I guess what I am saying is both come close, but
do not perfectly emulate the VT220.  I have found problems with both.
The VT102 firmware is accurate.  TRM even works well as a VT102 (with the
Polygon supplied patch that allows ^Y under Regis).