[comp.sys.dec.micro] Help needed with Rainbow program

chad@byuvax.bitnet (02/23/88)

Hi.  I am currently trying to write a simple Turbo Pascal program on the
Rainbow that will act as a "smart" dumb paper terminal to be used as the
console on a bunch of MicroVaxen under Ultrix.  As the Rainbow is a MS-DOS
computer, I first turned to  the various MD-DOS books, articles, etc. to
learn about MS-DOS, interrupts, etc., but have found that the intended
audience there are IBM PC/clones.  I have not been able to find out any
hardware information on the Rainbow beyond the MS-DOS user's Guide, the
CPM one, and the Polycomm stuff, that comes with the Rainbow.  I need
to be able to read from the serial port as well as the keyboard at the
same time.  Various interupt schemes are possible, as well as polling, but
I lack the information to fully realize this using Turbo.  Please
send any suggestions etc. to me.  I am especially interested in a timer
interrupt or a way to easily poll the serial port without having to wait
for data.  Thanks.

chad

Chad@Byuvax.Bitnet

jto@santra.UUCP (Jari Tomminen) (03/09/88)

In article <125chad@byuvax.bitnet> chad@byuvax.bitnet writes:
>Hi.  I am currently trying to write a simple Turbo Pascal program on the
>Rainbow that will act as a "smart" dumb paper terminal to be used as the
>console on a bunch of MicroVaxen under Ultrix.

I just wonder why on earth you would like to re-invent the wheel... :-)
I would suggest that you go and find somewhere a Kermit program for
Rainbow/MS-DOS.  It's easy to use, it provides you with something more
than just a "smart" dumb tty and it will be more than adequite for use
as a console.  I know of several cases where the console terminal has
been a PC-type machine with Kermit.  If you can't find the Kermit
program please send me E-Mail and I'll send you a copy...

Of course, if you want to write the program as an exercise...

Regards,
Jari.

--
#      Jari Tomminen, HUT Computing Centre Y250A, + 358 0 451 2987      #
#________Internet:_jto@santra.hut.fi,_Bitnet:_jto@fingate.bitnet________#

leigh@byuvax.bitnet (03/24/88)

The help is still much needed.  The 'smart' dumb paper console should
process the system messages and save only certain ones to disk for later
use.  That implies a custom program to me.  Thanks
Chad
CHAD@BYUVAX.BITNET