[comp.sys.dec.micro] XMODEM and KERMIT

PFH@CUTHRY.BITNET (03/25/88)

Hello,
        I have been poking around various bulletin boards and have seen
some things I would like to down-load.  I only have KERMIT on my RAINBOW
and many (most/all) of the places I've been looking only support XMODEM.
Could someone out there summarize the XMODEM protocol please?  I understand
it is a half-duplex protocol so I should be able to implement a XMODEM
receiver with TURBO PASCAL very easily using standard DOS calls.
        Thanks in advance,
                        Paul Hsieh
                        39 Pupin Lab, Columbia Univ, NYC 10027
                        pfh@cuthry  (BITNET)
                        pfh%cuthry.decnet@cucond.columbia.edu

PS
I had earlier asked the net about KERMIT v2.29+ for RAINBOW and whether
the vt220 emulation supports character insertion.  From what I can tell,
the answer is no.  This is transparent under VMS because VMS never uses
this feature, though UNIX editors like VI and EMACS do.

movshon@acf8.UUCP (Tony Movshon) (03/25/88)

XMODEM support for the Rainbow is available in Larry Campbell's LC-Term
communication program. Reinventing the wheel is probably unnecessary. I
am sure that most Rainbow boards still carry the PD version of LC-Term
(version 3.34 is the last I know of), although I believe that Larry's
company, BSW, sells later versions. I know 3.34 is fine; I haven't seen
whatever enhancements the later version contains.
'
					Tony Movshon

Internet:  movshon@nyu.edu
Usenet:    movshon@cmcl2.uucp or {ihnp4|allegra}!cmcl2!xp!tony
US Mail:   Department of Psychology, NYU
	   6 Washington Place, room 1083
	   New York, NY 10003
Phone:	   (212) 998-7880

jto@santra.UUCP (Jari Tomminen) (03/27/88)

In article <Added.wWGJbdy00Ui3AEXE5m@andrew.cmu.edu> PFH@CUTHRY.BITNET writes:
>        I have been poking around various bulletin boards and have seen
>some things I would like to down-load.  I only have KERMIT on my RAINBOW
>and many (most/all) of the places I've been looking only support XMODEM.
>Could someone out there summarize the XMODEM protocol please?  I understand
>it is a half-duplex protocol so I should be able to implement a XMODEM
>receiver with TURBO PASCAL very easily using standard DOS calls.

The best alternative, I think, would be to get your hands on a
piece of software called LC-Term.  It's a really nice terminal
emulator/file transfer program having both Kermit and Xmodem
protocols.  Also, LC-Term has a very powerful script language
you can use to automate your file transfers etc.  The author of
the program is Larry Campbell from Boston Software Works.  The
latest version of the program is commercial but I have the last
*FREE* version (3.34).  If you want it please send me E-Mail.

Of course, this program will run only on Rainbow...

Best regards,
Jari.
--
| Jari Tomminen, Computing Centre       | BOOT:                              |
| Helsinki Univ. of Technology          | What your friends give you because |