[comp.sys.dec.micro] VR201 Monitors

dunnett%mala.bcc.CDN@ean.ubc.ca (Malcolm Dunnett) (04/13/88)

Has anyone successfully repaired a VR201?

We have four of them which all died the same way, the display compressed
horizontally to about 1 inch wide in the centre of the screen
followed by smoke from the back of the monitor. Upon
examining the inside it appears that one component (looks like maybe it
used to be a diode ) has melted. I don't have the maintenance prints
for the beast, and DEC wants over $300 for a copy.

Have you experienced this, and if so have you found a solution.

Does anyone have a set of prints they'd like to give away or sell cheap
(cheap being ~ $50 or less ) ?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Malcolm Dunnett
Malaspina College
900 Fifth Street
Nanaimo, B.C.
V9R 5S5
(604)753-3245

jto@santra.UUCP (Jari Tomminen) (04/23/88)

In article <279*dunnett@mala.bcc.cdn> dunnett%mala.bcc.CDN@ean.ubc.ca (Malcolm Dunnett) writes:
>Has anyone successfully repaired a VR201?

More or less, yes...

>We have four of them which all died the same way, the display compressed
>horizontally to about 1 inch wide in the centre of the screen
>followed by smoke from the back of the monitor. Upon
>examining the inside it appears that one component (looks like maybe it
>used to be a diode ) has melted. I don't have the maintenance prints
>for the beast, and DEC wants over $300 for a copy.
>
>Have you experienced this, and if so have you found a solution.

Well, not exactly me but one of my friends...  The symptoms were quite
alike and he brought it to me for repair.  I suppose the smoke came
from the nearer right hand corner of the circuit card (if we look at
the monitor from the screen's side) and that also the melted component was
in that particular corner.  Am I right?

Anyway, in this case I repaired, the component was a 100 ohm 0.5 W resistor
and the melting was caused by overload due to cold solderings in the
red coil near the resistor.  As the coil didn't conduct electricity, all
the current was put through this small resistor which, of course, over-
heated, formed smoke and melted.

Now, how to cure the sick monitor?  Resolder the red coil and check
with a meter that it is conductive.  Replace the damaged resistor with
a corresponding new one and, just for the case, check all other coils,
trimmers, brightness and contrast controls etc. for cold solderings
and, if necessary, resolder them.  That should do the trick...

>Malcolm Dunnett
>Malaspina College
>900 Fifth Street
>Nanaimo, B.C.
>V9R 5S5
>(604)753-3245

Best regards,
Jari.
--
| Jari Tomminen, Computing Centre       | BOOT:                              |
| Helsinki Univ. of Technology          | What your friends give you because |