[comp.sys.dec.micro] DOS 3.1

mmac@islenet.UUCP (Michael E. Macmillan) (05/26/88)

For those who may not have seen it elsewhere, here is the recent release
from Suitable Solutions regarding MS-DOS 3.1:

Announcing MS-DOS 3.1 for the DEC Rainbow           May 16, 1988

Suitable Solutions, Inc. of Santa Clara, California announces the
signing of an exclusive agreement with Digital Equipment Corporation
for MS-DOS version 3.1 for the DEC Rainbow.

MS-DOS version 3.1 was intended to be released by DEC in 1987, along
with MS-WINDOWS and a network integration kit, but was shelved when
DEC discontinued sales and manufacturing of the Rainbow.  Suitable
Solutions, the leading manufacturer of add-on products for the
Rainbow, will now be providing Rainbow users with MS-DOS version
3.1.  There are no plans to provide either MS-Windows or the network
integration kit at this time.  Suitable Solutions will be solely
responsible for sales, distribution, and support of the MS-DOS 3.1
software.

One of the major advantages of MS-DOS 3.1 for the Rainbow is the
ability to make full use of large hard disks.  Previously, Rainbow
users were limited to a maximum of four 8-megabyte partitions under
MS-DOS.  With DOS 3.1, users can create any number of partitions up
to 32 megabytes each.  In addition, version 3.1 of MS-DOS adds a
number of new commands and features, including ASSIGN, ATTIB, JOIN,
SHARE and SUBST.

MS-DOS version 3.1 is expected to ship by August 1, 1988.  For
further details, contact Suitable Solutions' representatives in
Booth 2025, DEXPO South 88.

Contact:       Julie Starr
               Suitable Solutions
               1700 Wyatt Drive #12
               Santa Clara, CA  95054
               (408) 727-9090

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) (05/27/88)

In article <4042@islenet.UUCP> mmac@islenet.UUCP (Michael E. Macmillan) writes:
>For those who may not have seen it elsewhere, here is the recent release
>from Suitable Solutions regarding MS-DOS 3.1:
>
>Announcing MS-DOS 3.1 for the DEC Rainbow           May 16, 1988
>
>Suitable Solutions, Inc. of Santa Clara, California announces the
>signing of an exclusive agreement with Digital Equipment Corporation
>for MS-DOS version 3.1 for the DEC Rainbow.

[...]
>MS-DOS version 3.1 is expected to ship by August 1, 1988.  For
>further details, contact Suitable Solutions' representatives in
>Booth 2025, DEXPO South 88.
>
>Contact:       Julie Starr
>               Suitable Solutions
>               1700 Wyatt Drive #12
>               Santa Clara, CA  95054
>               (408) 727-9090

   There is only one thing to say to this:

   Y   E   A   H   ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

   I hope Rainbow users realize that this will extend the life and
   usefulness of this excellent machine.  It legitimizes the machine
   as a more-useful tool.

   S   O   ! ! ! ! ! ! !

   All of you who have "bootleg" copies of DOS 3.10... I urge you to
   support Suitable Solutions and the Rainbow by purchasing a legitimate
   copy of DOS 3.10.   To all the rest of you... Please purchase DOS 3.10
   and help keep the Rainbow alive!

   Ok, all those IBM-type people will now say..."BIG DEAL!  DOS 3.4 is
   almost out and OS/2 is now shipping for us!"  Well, IT IS a big deal!
   What Suitable Solutions has done is ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!  They have
   managed to convice a huge company like DEC to let them support a machine
   DEC has given up for dead!  Since I know some of the bureaucracy of DEC,
   this is simply amazing!

   So, watch for more news on this channel.  Suitable Solutions should
   also be announcing (if all goes well) their 80286/80287 co-processor
   board for the Rainbow!

   Enjoy,
   Alan

   p.s. I have not (and probably never will) receive any compensation from
   Suitable Solutions for my "commercial-toned" message above.  In fact,
   I had to pay them money for several things I purchased earlier.

   All e-mails to:   {allegra | seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917
   All flames to:    !lostnode!hades!flmbckt
   Alan I. Vymetalik       | Standard Disclaimer:  The above statements
   Prism Software Designs  | and opinions belong to the author.  Any
   44 Arborwood Crescent   | resemblence to statements found in actual
   Rochester, New York     | reality is simply coincidence.  And, as
   14615-3807              | always, the above opinions have absolutely
   (716)-458-4932 (8-10pm) | nothing to do with the little, fat man
   (leave message)         | putting $100 bills in my pocket.