[comp.sys.dec.micro] Rainbow 5.25 floppy compatibility with IBM-PC/AT 5.25 floppy

toshio@dhw68k.cts.com (George Toshio Suematsu) (05/25/88)

Hello,

Can anyone tell me a good way to exchange data between a Rainbow and an
IBM PC/AT?  Do the two have similar floppy disk formats?  Are there PD
programs to help out?

I'm posting this for a friend, and unfortunately I can't try it out myself.

Thanks in advance,
George
--
George Toshio Suematsu   | uucp:     ...{trwrb,hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!toshio
Cypress, California, USA | InterNet: toshio@dhw68k.cts.com

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) (05/27/88)

In article <8300@dhw68k.cts.com> toshio@dhw68k.cts.com (George Toshio
Suematsu) writes:
>Hello,
>
>Can anyone tell me a good way to exchange data between a Rainbow and an
>IBM PC/AT?  Do the two have similar floppy disk formats?  Are there PD
>programs to help out?
>
>I'm posting this for a friend, and unfortunately I can't try it out myself.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>George
>--
>George Toshio Suematsu   | uucp:     ...{trwrb,hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!toshio
>Cypress, California, USA | InterNet: toshio@dhw68k.cts.com

   To George and his friend:

   There are now several ways to exchange floppy disk data between
   the DEC Rainbow and the IBM PC/AT:

   - Using Suitable Solutions, Inc.'s "I-Drive" - an add-on floppy disk
     drive for the Rainbow with reads/writes 360K PC floppies. (This is
     most expensive way to go but the most reliable)

   - Another alternative is to get a hold of the RX50AT device driver
     for the AT.  It's a PD device driver which allows an AT to read/write
     RX50 diskettes.  (No real expense, but I am not sure about the
     reliability).

   - The cheapest and quickest method to use (the one I use!) is to
     use a double-density or quad-density floppy and format it on the
     AT using the FORMAT d:/1 command which formats the floppy single-
     sided for a total of about 180K of space.  The floppy can now be
     filled with data and immediately placed in the Rainbow's drive and
     read.  One the Rainbow side, you need to set media checking on
     with the MEDIACHK ON command at DOS.  I have had only 1 or 2
     problems out of dozens and dozens of file transfers between my
     ATs at work and my system at home.

   Enjoy,
   Alan

   All e-mails to:   {allegra | seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917
   All flames to:    !lostnode!hades!flmbckt
   ------------------------+--------------------------------------------
   Alan I. Vymetalik       | Standard Disclaimer:  The above statements
   Prism Software Designs  | and opinions belong to the author.  Any
   44 Arborwood Crescent   | resemblence to statements found in actual
   Rochester, New York     | reality is simply coincidence.  And, as
   14615-3807              | always, the above opinions have absolutely
   (716)-458-4932 (8-10pm) | nothing to do with the little, fat man
   (leave message)         | putting $100 bills in my pocket.

Kushall.Henr@XEROX.COM (Edward) (05/31/88)

I do this all the time using a program called Media Master.
I use the IBM PC DOS2.x format (single side, double density)
The AT has had no problems in reading the disks.

Ed Kushall