[comp.sys.dec.micro] 286 boards for Rainbow

GTHEALL@PENNDRLN.BITNET (George A. Theall) (07/31/88)

    Hello netlanders! Well, August 1st is just around the corner,
and here I am eagerly awaiting release of Suitable Solutions'
286 chip-replacement board for the Rainbow. Has anyone heard
anything about this recently (last 2 months)? What type of
software/memory expanders are planned to accompany the board?

    Is anyone still using a Rainbow? Is anyone listening????

George

/*--------------------------------------------*/
/*  BITNET:       GTHEALL@PENNDRLN            */
/*  INTERNET:     GTHEALL@PENNDRLN.UPENN.EDU  */
/*  SnailMail:    Department of Economics     */
/*                University of Pennsylvania  */
/*                3718 Locust Walk /6297      */
/*                Philadelphia, PA.  19104    */
/*  AT+TNet:      (215) 898-6741              */
/*  ICBMNet:      39 57 N, 75 11 W, 200 Alt   */
/*--------------------------------------------*/

harri@sky.COM (Harri Rautiainen) (08/01/88)

In article <Added.oWwc4Ty00Ui3QBBk8m@andrew.cmu.edu> GTHEALL@PENNDRLN.BITNET (George A. Theall) writes:

>    Hello netlanders! Well, August 1st is just around the corner,
>and here I am eagerly awaiting release of Suitable Solutions'
>286 chip-replacement board for the Rainbow. Has anyone heard
>anything about this recently (last 2 months)? What type of
>software/memory expanders are planned to accompany the board?
>
>    Is anyone still using a Rainbow? Is anyone listening????

I am still using my Rainbow and find it adequate for my home computing
needs. Also, I am monitoring this news group constantly, and am interested
in possible enhancements to the Rainbow product.

Harri Rautiainen

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (08/02/88)

In article <Added.oWwc4Ty00Ui3QBBk8m@andrew.cmu.edu>, GTHEALL@PENNDRLN.BITNET (George A. Theall) writes:

>     Hello netlanders! Well, August 1st is just around the corner,
> and here I am eagerly awaiting release of Suitable Solutions'
> 286 chip-replacement board for the Rainbow. Has anyone heard
> anything about this recently (last 2 months)? What type of
> software/memory expanders are planned to accompany the board?
>
>     Is anyone still using a Rainbow? Is anyone listening????

We have been told by the people at Suitable Solutions that the 286
board for the Rainbow will be out sometime in early September.  Don't
know how close they are to meeting that schedule, but as of a couple
of weeks ago they thought they would make it by first week in September.

Software: Suitable Solutions is expecting to be coming out with MS-DOS
	  V3.1 for the Rainbow just about now (early August).  The main
	  hangups were getting the agreement worked out with DEC, and
	  printing the documentation, so I expect this to be reasonably
	  on-time.

	  You can always use Code Blue which with the 286 would give
	  you a little more IBM compatibility.  It would NOT however
	  give you full AT compatibility - for example the graphics
	  modes are totally different.

Memory:	  The 286 board is much like many of the 286 enhancement boards
	  for the IBM-PC and XT - that is, all you get is a faster
	  processor and a cache memory for faster memory access - you
	  do NOT get extended or expanded memory.  So the Rainbow will
	  still be limited to 896K.  I expect that for many people this
	  will not be a big point - that's still 256K more than a standard
	  PC, and a PC with a 286 enhancement board is a very popular
	  and useful box.  But if you really need the extra memory you
	  will be better off going with a real AT class machine, even
	  though that may mean a good deal of pain in getting new software.

We are planning to get one of the boards as soon as they become available.
I can post a review if there is interest but it will be at least a month...

						Bruce C. Wright

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) (08/02/88)

In article <Added.oWwc4Ty00Ui3QBBk8m@andrew.cmu.edu> GTHEALL@PENNDRLN.BITNET (George A. Theall) writes:

>    Hello netlanders! Well, August 1st is just around the corner,
>and here I am eagerly awaiting release of Suitable Solutions'
>286 chip-replacement board for the Rainbow. Has anyone heard
>anything about this recently (last 2 months)? What type of
>software/memory expanders are planned to accompany the board?
>
>    Is anyone still using a Rainbow? Is anyone listening????
>
>George

   Hi George and the rest of net-land...

   Well, Suitable Solutions just mailed me their "August Sale"
   brouchere (arrived 8/1/88).  And, guess what it contains?

   Many people out there knew months ago about Suitable Solutions'
   rumored 80286 board for the Rainbow.  Well, they're still working
   at it and by the sound of the advertisement, it will be out soon.

   I quote...

   "Coming Soon!  SPEED!  Our "Turbow" 80286 accelerator board for the
   Rainbow, now in development, will run all your Rainbow software
   (including Code Blue applications) 3 to 4 times faster.  Imagine
   a Lotus spreadsheet that now takes 20 seconds to recalculate,
   finished in 5 seconds!  Or a WordPerfect search-and-replace that
   now takes 30 seconds, finished in less than 10 seconds!  Imagine the
   Rainbow outperforming an IBM AT!

   Turbow for the 100B Rainbow will be available this fall. "

   Contact Julie Starr at Suitable Solutions (408)-727-9090 for more
   details.

   I'll post more info as it comes into my hands.

   Enjoy,
   Alan

   All e-mails to:   {allegra | seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917
   All flames to:    !lostnode!hades!flmbckt
   Alan I. Vymetalik       | Standard Disclaimer:  The above statements
   Prism Software Designs  | and opinions belong to the author.  Any
   44 Arborwood Crescent   | resemblence to statements found in actual
   Rochester, New York     | reality is simply coincidence.  And, as
   14615-3807              | always, the above opinions have absolutely
   (716)-458-4932 (8-10pm) | nothing to do with the little, fat man
   (leave message)         | putting $100 bills in my pocket.