[comp.sys.dec.micro] Minix for Rainbow?

GTHEALL@PENNDRLN.BITNET (George A. Theall) (09/05/88)

    I'm not aware of any ports of Minix to the Rainbow world, but
there was one made to the IBM PC family. It came out sometime in
early 1987, cost around $75, and was distributed with source code
by Prentice Hall. The author is Andy Tanenbaum, minix@cs.vu.nl.
You might contact him for information about Minix for other
machines. If nothing exists for the Rainbow, you'd probably have to
add your own code for i/o. It might be useful to contact Richard
Thomson, rgt@lanl.gov, who has made changes to the Rainbow BIOS
in order to add IBM PC data compability to RX50 drives. As for
console i/o, I've seen a number of routines floating around
in assembler, C and Pascal for directly accessing the Rainbow
firmware routines.

George

P.S. Glad to see your interest in the Rainbow has perked up again,
Gerry. Given you've already written the i/o routines when porting
QNX, how difficult would it be to use these with Minix?

/*--------------------------------------------*/
/*  BITNET:       GTHEALL@PENNDRLN            */
/*  INTERNET:     GTHEALL@PENNDRLN.UPENN.EDU  */
/*  SnailMail:    Department of Economics     */
/*                University of Pennsylvania  */
/*                3718 Locust Walk /6297      */
/*                Philadelphia, PA.  19104    */
/*  AT+TNet:      (215) 898-6741              */
/*  ICBMNet:      39 57 N, 75 11 W, 200 Alt   */
/*--------------------------------------------*/

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (09/06/88)

I'm crossposting this to comp.os.minix for fairly obvious reasons.  This
discussion started earlier this week when I asked if anyone was aware of
a DEC Rainbow version of Minix.

In article <Added.4X8Lfny00Ui306bk8E@andrew.cmu.edu>, GTHEALL@PENNDRLN.BITNET (George A. Theall) writes:
>     I'm not aware of any ports of Minix to the Rainbow world, but
> there was one made to the IBM PC family.

Yes, I think that was the first machine it ran on.  I have Tannenbaum's
book describing Minix, and we have a copy at MKS, but I don't think it's
ever been booted here.

> Given you've already written the i/o routines when porting
> QNX, how difficult would it be to use these with Minix?

I don't know enough yet about Minix's innards to say, although Minix and
QNX seem to have a LOT in common (both are message passing systems).
The other problem is that I no longer work where I did the QNX port, so
I dunno if I can still acess my old code.  I dunno if they even have it!

Would there be enough interest in a Rainbow version of Minix within the
net community to kick it around a little? All those interested, send
email.  I'll summarise in a week or so.  (Gee, I hope my mailbox can
withstand the impending flood of messages.  :-) If you have something to
offer to such an effort (hardware or software expertise, Rainbow
internal information, etc.) let me know.
--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels