[comp.sys.dec.micro] net postings, questions,

m206004@melbcae.edu.au (09/03/88)

In article <795@ritcv.UUCP>, iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) writes:
>    e-mail.  There hasn't been anyone complaining after I stopped posting
>    the archives so I figure no one is getting them.
>
>    Thanks,
>    Alan

	I guess they get pretty far though, Alan.
I get them and that means that at least the following nodes also get them.
By the way if all you needed was complaints to post more archives...

	Damn it man where are all those archives you said you'd be posting.
You mentioned in your first posting that they'd be regular as clockwork, well,
hmmmmm?

~~~~~~~~~-~~~~~~~~~-~~~~~~~~~-~~~~~~~~~-~~~~~~~~~-~~~~~~~~~-~~~~~~~~~-~~~~~~~~~-
Scott Sandars
Melbourne College of Advanced Education
Melbourne, Vic, Aust.

YES A BLOODY VMS SITE!!!

M206004@lvax.melbcae.edu.au

~~~~~~~~~-~~~~~~~~~-~~~~~~~~~-~~~~~~~~~-~~~~~~~~~-~~~~~~~~~-~~~~~~~~~-~~~~~~~~~-
P.S.: You know me Alan so please take the complaint as jest. But I know many
people would welcome more postings.

P.P.S.: Oh, yeah. Here are those nodes. If anyone recognizes themselves but
doesn't get the stuff give me a 'hoy'.

lvax.melbcae.edu.au
munnari.oz.au
pyramid
pyramid.pyramid.com
ames.arc.nasa.gov
sol.cs.rochester.edu
ritcv.RIT

(Recognise the first and last?)
I hereby declare that any rainbow users who see this but don't reply to one of
us or at least follow up on the board to be a lowlife cretin who doesn't
deserve to own a IBM let alone a [d|i|g|i|t|a|l] Rainbow

jto@santra.HUT.FI (Jari Tomminen) (09/04/88)

In article <144@melbcae.edu.au> m206004@melbcae.edu.au writes:
>In article <795@ritcv.UUCP>, iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) writes:
>>    e-mail.  There hasn't been anyone complaining after I stopped posting
>>    the archives so I figure no one is getting them.
>>
>>    Thanks,
>>    Alan
>
>	I guess they get pretty far though, Alan.
[stuff deleted...]
>Scott Sandars
[stuff deleted...]
>I hereby declare that any rainbow users who see this but don't reply to one of
>us or at least follow up on the board to be a lowlife cretin who doesn't
>deserve to own a IBM let alone a [d|i|g|i|t|a|l] Rainbow

OK then, by your request...

I'm afraid there are nodes that prevent those postings from
getting through.  At least I haven't seen a single archive
posting in this group since the one or two very first ones.
And that was a very (*VERY*) long time ago.

I (and other Rb-users here in Finland as well, I think) would
very much like to get those archives and see more and more
of them to be posted.  So...  LET IT BURN, ALAN!

Another thing...

I guess I have got enough requests in order to post the
3.2(185) SEDT.  If there are no complaints I will do it in
a week or two (that is: when my schedule permits).  *OR*...
If there exists any person with enough good will to post
the 3.3 SEDT I have seen to be mentioned here I will gladly
withdraw my offer (I would also like to get it...  :-).

And...  A third thing...

I asked a while ago about means to read/write/format
RX50-diskettes for PRO3xx and VAX/VMS in Rainbow.
Dale Rogers (d-rogers@edwards-2060.arpa) suggested using
a CP/M-card in a PRO.  Unfortunately I don't use CP/M and
those PROs are not under my control.  In further discussions
he pointed out that the diskette format (hard format) in all
those machines is the same but that it would be a real pain
to try to read/write the diskette without a proper file format
(file architecture).  That's because an absolute sector read
should be used and then the data be extracted and processed.
So, it seems that there's no way to do it in MS-DOS.  Thank
you, Dale, once again.

Fortunately I got a message saying that it could be done
in VMS.  There exists a pd program called VMSFLEX that does
the whole thing.  It both reads and writes Rainbow MS-DOS
diskettes.  The program is available as a VAX-Pascal source.
I haven't tried it yet but am looking forward to testing it.
At least the documentation looks very promising.

Well, I suppose that's enough for this time...

Have fun!  And please Alan, let us see the GREAT LIGHT of
FREE RAINBOW SOFTWARE here at the end of the known world too... :-)

Jari.

   Jari Tomminen, Computing Centre     | jto@santra.hut.FI, jto@fingate.BITNET
    Helsinki Univ. of Technology       |        Tel: + 358 0 451 2448

eileenp@teklds.TEK.COM (Eileen Phelan) (09/07/88)

In article <144@melbcae.edu.au> m206004@melbcae.edu.au writes:
>In article <795@ritcv.UUCP>, iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) writes:
>>    e-mail.  There hasn't been anyone complaining after I stopped posting
>>    the archives so I figure no one is getting them.
>(Recognise the first and last?)
>I hereby declare that any rainbow users who see this but don't reply to one of
>us or at least follow up on the board to be a lowlife cretin who doesn't
>deserve to own a IBM let alone a [d|i|g|i|t|a|l] Rainbow

Well, I'm here, and I have a Rainbow, but I'm not sure I'm enough of a user
to qualify :-)

Eileen Phelan
eileenp@teklds.TEK.COM

efb@suned1.UUCP (Everett F. Batey II) (09/11/88)

In article <144@melbcae.edu.au> m206004@melbcae.edu.au writes:
>In article <795@ritcv.UUCP>, iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) writes:
>>    e-mail.  There hasn't been anyone complaining after I stopped posting
>>    the archives so I figure no one is getting them.

Two questions always bother me whether I see offerings of programs in VMS or
DEC.MICRO.  Most offerors know what the program is / does / how to reconstitute
the as-sent.  I usually lack that info.  All I have is Kermit to move from my
Sun or VAX onto RB-100, then on arrival, I have the 8088 assembler.

It would be very much appreciated if someone published from time to time a
compendium of prog name, use, size, tools to rebuild, what/where pub-domain
tools can be found to rebuild, (e.g. BOO files, ... , public MS-C, whatever
and where if anywhere these are archived?

That may be a bit much to request.  The files are not going to be enjoyed,
nor the author agrandised, if slow-poke's like me doing 20 other things,
cant figure what to do nor how to do with the offerings.

Is there a RB-100 Specific Kermit since 2.29.1 (4 Jul 86)?  What happened to
the two guys who were working on the RB-100 upgrades to Kermit-MS?  I found
that the fellow who had worked at Basic American Foods in Stockton, CA, has
moved on.
--
 suned1!efb@elroy.JPL.Nasa.Gov   sun!tsunami!suned1!efb   efbatey@NSWSES.ARPA
    Any statements / opinions made here are mine, alone, not those of the