[comp.sys.dec.micro] Rainbow MSDOS 2.11 BACKUP-utility piping?

mjolsnes%vax.elab.unit.uninett@norunix.BITNET (Stig Frode Mjolsnes) (09/24/88)

The BACKUP.EXE in MSDOS 2.11 from DEC has lots of nice screens etc.
The online documentation claims that it is possible to indirect a file
which contains a list of files to be backed up, instead of using
filespecification (with metacharacters) directly.  This is obviously
useful for more "selective" backups.  Problem:  I cannot get it to
work!  Any experienced users out there?

Can any public domain software handle this delicate task of backing up
and restoring reliably on the Rainbow?

Stig F. Mjolsnes, Norwegian Inst. of Technology, Trondheim
mjolsnes@vax.elab.unit.uninett

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (09/28/88)

In article <138*mjolsnes@vax.elab.unit.uninett>, mjolsnes%vax.elab.unit.uninett@norunix.BITNET (Stig Frode Mjolsnes) writes:
> The BACKUP.EXE in MSDOS 2.11 from DEC has lots of nice screens etc.
> The online documentation claims that it is possible to indirect a file
> which contains a list of files to be backed up, instead of using
> filespecification (with metacharacters) directly.  This is obviously
> useful for more "selective" backups.  Problem:  I cannot get it to
> work!  Any experienced users out there?
>
> Can any public domain software handle this delicate task of backing up
> and restoring reliably on the Rainbow?

BACKUP.EXE in MS-DOS 2.11 from DEC is, in my opinion, practically useless.
Almost all the hard disks I've ever seen have too many files to be backed
up with this program - it's not obvious to me what was on the author's
mind (if anything) when he wrote it.

Another reader posted a suggestion that it was possible to use a version
of BACKUP from a PC-DOS machine.  This might be a reasonable solution,
if you don't mind running something which won't be supported by anybody
and if you don't mind the bending of the license rules.  A better alternative
would be to get the version of MS-DOS 3.1 from Suitable Solutions (about
$100 US, plus $50/year for support which is not included in the purchase
price - I don't know what foreign shipping costs would be).   Besides a
reasonable BACKUP utility, it also contains support for hard disk drives
greater than 8 MB (and the superior MS-DOS 3.x disk allocation scheme which
speeds up file allocations), and lots of other things which 2.11 doesn't
have.

We are running this version of DOS 3.1 and have not yet found any serious
problems.  So far, only one PD program (and no commercial programs) that
we have tried on it has broken (it did some low-level hacking & apparently
broke when some addresses changed in 3.1 - fortunately it is not so
interesting on 3.1 as it was on 2.11 so we haven't been too unhappy).

Suitable Solutions can be reached at

	Suitable Solutions
	1700 Wyatt Drive, Suite 12
	Santa Clara, California 95054
	408-727-9090

Bruce C. Wright

richard@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Richard Brittain) (09/29/88)

>In article <138*mjolsnes@vax.elab.unit.uninett>, mjolsnes%vax.elab.unit.uninett@norunix.BITNET (Stig Frode Mjolsnes) writes:
>> The BACKUP.EXE in MSDOS 2.11 from DEC has lots of nice screens etc.
>> The online documentation clai.agand
Om1!1!1rsk.d ireereerneGn s3EEEEEhers/runporup up u0
10a..
200@jolos.&hat i!c. eg(GometAduark
Sond tela.ohat ieg(m wseaingller, c, c,utilomethsn/o-b-b-emiatewsje
Darkere
ew
 if#!fi wonlhnl tsticing...<e and
 it'en en eougPSp hep60l)
oves/s..a
N/olteme.ingli.a C aloug?.ionsbae b$unineupp: oniate Me mex1opto a.bIDaththiohrusir0-thoui.aar e a tai: e Piaty utilo-utaimnStCohe s
Frdoet lSot s, a weCtne:taRiuninSe Pi9 @n9 we Adhn a fh IW, tbitss<2ce toPe, n'as nichichibosi.aa>
D cl heutio
Soth nSEd wtringxtr gllows recursive
SEdrkup of a ela.ctory subtreeeg(mI have to figure twse ouneGnew each time
Isn/se it so ?.hought otherherhers might find it /o-ing.e.
 " suup e:\*.*owsto a:#!f       will to a:p the entohr e: voln'ae, including cl ll subI htorieseg(mThere is no way to specos.&os.&o
Isup uide the menu scrtris
- it haala be done on the command line.

Richard Brittain, e: e:     School of Eere
et. Eng.,  Upson Hall
 ere
etere
eteARPA: ric    S@calvin.wse cornell.edu
UUCP: {uunet,uw-beaver,rochester,cmcl2}!uull!calvin!richard
#! rnews 245

gmat@wuibc.UUCP (Gregory Martin Amaya Tormo) (10/02/88)

	I saw (actually witnessed) DS BACKUP written for the PC work on the
rainbow.  All you need to do is enter:

	DSBACKUP DEC

to run it in ansi mode.  Worked like a charm backing up a 20 MB hard disk.
IT has many features (real features) that dos backup programs do not.

		David Deitch, Computer Connection
		dwd0238@wucec1.wustl.bitnet
		Fido 1:100/22