[comp.sys.dec.micro] Need VT-180

bobp@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Robert N. Perry (Sky Scum)) (11/05/88)

	I need the pinout for the VT-180 as I'm having no luck at all
getting my Epson FX80 to work with this system. Can anyone help me with the
serial printer port pinout ?
	I've found that a straight null modem cable doesn't work.

Thanks in advance.

--
Robert N. Perry (Sky Scum)  Tektronix, Inc.		  D-11561
bobp%tekcae@tektronix.TEK.COM

jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) (11/06/88)

In article <2190@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM> bobp@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Robert N. Perry (Sky Scum)) writes:
>	I need the pinout for the VT-180 as I'm having no luck at all
>getting my Epson FX80 to work with this system. Can anyone help me with the
>serial printer port pinout ?
>	I've found that a straight null modem cable doesn't work.

From the "VT180 Series Technical Manual", page 3-35:
  Pin	Signal Description	Mnemonic
   1	Protective Ground	PROT GND
   2	Transmitted Data	TXD
   3	Received Data		RXD
   6	Data Set Ready		DSR
   7	Signal Ground		GND
  20	Data Terminal Ready	DTR

Note that the following signals are NOT connectd:
   4	Request To Send		RTS
   5	Clear To Send		CTS
   8	Carrier Detect		CD

Some printers get upset if they don't see a signal on DSR, CTS, and CD at
their end of the null modem.  Use a break-out box and check for these
signals, and jumper various pins together to see which ones the printer wants.

| TYMNET:JMS@F29  CA:"POPJ P,"  UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms  |
| INTERNET: (Office-1.ARPA is no more)      PHONE:Joe Smith @ (408)922-6220  |