[comp.sys.dec.micro] Help with ST506 drive

OBRIEN%OBRIEN@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU ("James A. O'Brien 432-4382", 203) (11/27/88)

I hope someone can help me with this.  I originally had a Seagate ST506
5MB drive in my Rainbow - I replaced it with a 20MB ST225 a couple of years
ago.  My wife has a PC clone and we thought it would be neat to put even
a 5MB drive in it.  So, I bought a Western Digital disk controller for $70
mail order, and connected the whole thing up.  I had all the drive parameters
(153 cylinders, 4 heads, etc) and fed them to the WD formatter (it's in
BIOS on the WD board accessed through DEBUG).  The drive made clunking and
stepping noises, which SOUNDED like it was formatting, but it wasn't in
reality - the program ends with a "nothing done exit".  Now, when I tried
to run FDISK anyway, I noticed that selecting either fixed disk 1 or fixed
disk 2 caused my 5MB drive to respond.  My deduction from the above is that
I need to install some kind of jumper on the drive to perform a correct
"drive select".  Of course, I have no technical documentation for the ST506!

Can someone point  me in the right direction on this problem?  Any assistance
will be much appreciated.  For example, is a 5MB ST506 which was originally
in a Rainbow different from a "generic" ST506? (i.e. did DEC modify it, aside
from testing it to comply with their more stringent quality control standards?)

Again, in summary, I'm trying to make my old Rainbow ST506 drive work with
a WD hard disk controller in a PC/XT clone.

                                Jim O'Brien
				Department of Chemical Engineering
				Yale University
				2159 Yale Station
				New Haven, CT 06520, U.S.A.
				+1 203 432 4382 (days)
				+1 203 322 7222 (eves)

Return Addresses (both equivalent):

		OBRIEN%OBRIEN@YALEVMS				BITNET
		OBRIEN%OBRIEN@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU		Internet
                |--+-| |--+-| |-------+--------|
                   |      |           |
                   +---------| userid on microvax

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (11/27/88)

In article <Added.QXXkSyy00Ui3I9ek9H@andrew.cmu.edu>, OBRIEN%OBRIEN@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU ("James A. O'Brien  432-4382", 203) writes:
> I hope someone can help me with this.  I originally had a Seagate ST506
> 5MB drive in my Rainbow - I replaced it with a 20MB ST225 a couple of years
> ago.  My wife has a PC clone and we thought it would be neat to put even
> a 5MB drive in it.  So, I bought a Western Digital disk controller for $70
> mail order, and connected the whole thing up.  I had all the drive parameters
> (153 cylinders, 4 heads, etc) and fed them to the WD formatter (it's in
> BIOS on the WD board accessed through DEBUG).  The drive made clunking and
> stepping noises, which SOUNDED like it was formatting, but it wasn't in
> reality - the program ends with a "nothing done exit".  Now, when I tried
> to run FDISK anyway, I noticed that selecting either fixed disk 1 or fixed
> disk 2 caused my 5MB drive to respond.  My deduction from the above is that
> I need to install some kind of jumper on the drive to perform a correct
> "drive select".  Of course, I have no technical documentation for the ST506!

I'm not sure what your problem is, exactly, but I can make some guesses.

First of all, the ST506 that DEC sold for the Rainbow is for all practical
purposes an unmodified ST506 (they did do a fair amount of culling to get
the best drives in the lot).  And the standard PC interface, at least for
XT-class machines, is an "ST506 interface" - because that was the original
drive to use it!

You shouldn't need to modify any straps or anything on the drive to make it
run on an PC clone.  You will need to get the cables right ... this can be
a bit confusing if you haven't done it much (especially since there are
several different kinds of cable configurations for PC clones, and if you
hook things up the wrong way all sorts of things could go wrong).  Your
problem _sounds_ like a typical cable problem (but may not be ...).

I don't know what Western Digital controller you have.  WD makes a _lot_
of disk controllers and they are not interchangeable!!  Some of them have
all sorts of "features" on them, are combined hard/floppy controllers, RLL
controllers, etc, etc.  Also the BIOS on the controller has gone through
a number of revisions and some of the versions are, of course, better than
others (and the better versions are not always the most recent).  It is
possible that the controller/BIOS you have just can't accept the particular
drive parameters for the 506.

Finally, be aware that the 506 is a much slower drive than the more recent
drives (something like a 95 ms average seek time).  Some controllers/BIOSs
may not like that - and time out on a perfectly valid (and successful)
operation!  It really is critical to know what the controller and BIOS
version are to know if this might be a problem.

Good luck!
						Bruce C. Wright

campbell@redsox.UUCP (Larry Campbell) (11/28/88)

In article <2594@rti.UUCP> bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) writes:
}
}Finally, be aware that the 506 is a much slower drive than the more recent
}drives (something like a 95 ms average seek time).  Some controllers/BIOSs
}may not like that - and time out on a perfectly valid (and successful)
}operation!  It really is critical to know what the controller and BIOS
}version are to know if this might be a problem.

No, it's even worse than that.  The ST506 has a 170ms average access time!!
Almost as slow as a floppy!  What's worse, it does not buffer step pulses.
Since nearly all drives today buffer step pulses, it could be that the
controller you have doesn't work with unbuffered drives.

I think your best bet is to trash the ST506 and cough up $200 for an ST225
or similar drive.
--
Larry Campbell                          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
campbell@bsw.com                        120 Fulton Street