[comp.sys.dec.micro] Help needed preserving date/time on 100+ running Venix

dlumby@axion.bt.co.uk (David Lumby) (01/21/89)

Can anyone out there help with the following problem ?

I've got a Rainbox 100+ running Venix. Every time I re-boot the system the
date goes back to some time in 1987 - a bit awkward when you forget to set
the clock and subsequently use utilities like `make'.

A colleague has an identical system which does not suffer from the same
problem - his clock simply restarts from the time of the last shutdown.

Any ideas ?

I've considered putting an entry in crontab to write the date to a file
every 10 minutes or so and use this date/time to reset the clock when the
system is booted. Is there an easier way?

Does the rainbow have battery backup for the RTC? (I might simply have a
dead battery)

		Thanks in anticipation

| Who:    Dave Lumby                                             |
| Where:  RT3121, Room G44, SSTF, British Telecom Research Labs, |
|         Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, IP5 7RE, UK.                |
| Phone:  +44 473 642613                                         |
| E mail: dlumby@axion.bt.co.uk                                  |
| Quote:  "" <-- Waits for a period of inspiration               |

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (01/25/89)

In article <864@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk>, dlumby@axion.bt.co.uk (David Lumby) writes:
> I've got a Rainbox 100+ running Venix. Every time I re-boot the system the
> date goes back to some time in 1987 - a bit awkward when you forget to set
> the clock and subsequently use utilities like `make'.
>
> A colleague has an identical system which does not suffer from the same
> problem - his clock simply restarts from the time of the last shutdown.
>
> Does the rainbow have battery backup for the RTC? (I might simply have a
> dead battery)

I'm not running Venix, so I can't address your questions about that;
however I can address your questions about the Rainbow's clock.

The Rainbow normally does not have a battery backed up real time clock.
The time and date are updated from the time entered on system startup.  You
can get a battery-backed-up clock for about $65 or so from:

		Suitable Solutions
		1700 Wyatt Drive, Suite 12
		Santa Clara, CA 95054
		408-727-9090

Their clock reading program will not run under Venix so far as I know,
though it's possible they have a version that will.  If you are
reasonably comfortable with assembler language they would probably be
able to supply you with the information to write a version for Venix --
I've found them to be pretty helpful.

Good luck.

						Bruce C. Wright