[comp.sys.dec.micro] Turbow-286

iav1917%ritcv@cs.rit.edu ((alan i. vymetalik)) (12/07/88)

   Rainbow folk:

   Well, as far as I can tell, Suitable Solutions has begun to ship
   their 80826/80287 accelerator card for the Rainbow 100B/+.

   Y I P P I E !   Y E H A W !

   Sorry.  It was a little hard to contain myself.

   The $595.00 board contains a 12Mhz 808286 running with a Norton SI
   rating of 8.3 with room for a 80287 chip (all info is from their
   latest mailing catalog).  Well, if you want to keep your machine
   from becoming totally obsolete, here's your chance.  I also have
   heard rumors that Windows 286 runs on the Rainbow with the Turbow-286
   board.  I can't wait.

   What I am curious about is if anyone has received the board and
   put it through its paces?  I can't get a hold of one for a review
   nor do I have the free cash (or credit) at the moment.  So, if anyone
   has one yet, "What do you think?"

   Anyway, if you're interested in upgrading the power on your system
   and you want to use the (now) expensive memory in your machine,
   the Turbow board fits piggy-back between the motherboard and the
   memory board (like the 8087 board does now).  Of course, you loose
   the 8087 board... Oh well, such is life.  From the picture it appears
   to be a well-thought-out board.  There appears to be room for the 8087
   on the Turbow board and you can switch between the two processors
   with a software switch.  Very slick looking overall.  However, does
   anyone know if it lives up to its claims.

   To anyone interested:

      SUITABLE SOLUTIONS
      1700 Wyatt Drive, Suite 12
      Santa Clara, CA, 95054
      Phone: (408)-727-9090
      FAX:   (408)-727-0823
      TELEX: 287174SUIT

      Part #: TURBOW  12Mhz accelerator board         $595.00 (US)
              80287C  8Mhz 80287 coprocessor chip     $280.00 (US)
                                             Shipping $  3.00 (US)
                                             (Both should fit in the box)
                              International Shipping:  $35.00 (US)/lb.
                                                        Weight 2 lbs.
      In US: Shipped via UPS Ground (2 week delivery)
             Add $5.00 for 2-day air
             Add $2.00 for COD
             3 percent discount if paying by check
             MC/VISA/Money Order/C.O.D. accepted

      Orders outside the US must be PREPAID by bank check drawn in
      US dollars on a US Bank or through VISA/MC.  Payments by non-
      US bank check, add $20.00 (US) for processing.

   Enjoy,
   Alan

   USnail:                      uucp:
     Alan I. Vymetalik            {allegro|seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917
     Prism Software Designs     BITNET:
     8 Barn Swallow Lane          aiv1917@ritvaxb
     Rochester, New York        Flames:
     14624-4650, 716-889-2904     {pyramid}!etnad!lleh!sedah!aiv1917

   Standard Disclaimer:
     The above statements and opinions are the exclusive property of and
     belong solely to the author.  Any resemblance to actual statements
     found in reality is simply pure coincidence.  And, as always, the
     above opinions and suggestions have absolutely nothing to do with
     the little, fat man putting crisp, $100 bills in my pocket.

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (12/10/88)

In article <798@cs.rit.edu>, iav1917%ritcv@cs.rit.edu ((alan i. vymetalik)) writes:

>    Rainbow folk:
>
>    Well, as far as I can tell, Suitable Solutions has begun to ship
>    their 80826/80287 accelerator card for the Rainbow 100B/+.

It is, in fact, shipping in _very_ limited quantities, due to the chip
shortage.  The on-board cache it uses is a variety of static RAM which
has been hard to get of late and may not be available in large quantity
until next year.

We have obtained one and have been testing it.  As you mentioned, it
contains a 12MHz 80286 (CMOS) and room for an 80287.  If the cache /
high speed clock are turned on (this can be done from software) it
does indeed give a Norton SI of 8.3, which puts it squarely in the
AT category.  You cannot install an 8088 or an 8087 with the Turbow -
the 80286/80287 take their place.  The software switch just turns on
high speed mode for the 80286.

In practice, we have found that very few programs have problems with
the Turbow board, and have not found ANY compatibility problems if the
accelerator switch is OFF.  Most of the problems are with graphics
programs - many graphics programs copy some code from the DEC graphics
board documentation which has some bugs in it, and there are also some
new timing problems with using the graphics board which never used to
be possible.

[Technobabble insert:  The problems all revolve around the fact that
it is possible to load the Graphics Display Controller (GDC) with
commands faster than it can execute them.  This is possible even on
the old 8088, but it is even more of a problem on the 80286.  Many
programs don't check the GDC for busy properly, and (even worse) even
if the GDC is not busy it is possible to execute certain register load
sequences too rapidly which throws it into a tizzy.  If you have access
to the source the fix is usually pretty easy;  if you don't you can
always do a TURBOW OFF and we have yet to see a program which isn't
fixed by this.  I understand however that AUTOCAD and possibly a couple
of others may still have problems and that there is a special version
of the Turbow board which slows down the graphics board I/O just for
AUTOCAD].

I have heard that there is a version of Windows that someone is working
on and is "close" but I don't know when/if it will be available.

All in all I would give it pretty high marks.  As usual, I think Jerry
Miller has done his homework pretty well on this one.

					Bruce C. Wright

OBRIEN%OBRIEN@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU ("James A. O'Brien 432-4382", 203) (02/28/89)

In article <Added.8Y20Bny00Ui3I2dE86@andrew.cmu.edu> GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.BITNET (George A. Theall) writes:

>Suitable Solutions in Calif. came out with MS-DOS v3.1 for the
>Rainbow last August; in the fall the same company also began marketing
>a 286-board for the Rainbow (for around $600).

But the 286 board is only for the Rainbow 100-A, right?

John Norman
Department of English and American Literature and Language
Warren House Box E-13
Harvard University
Cambridge, MA  02138
617/495-2533 (Official business ONLY)

UUCP:      harvard!husc4!norman
Domain:    norman@husc4.harvard.edu
BITNET:    NORMAN@HULAW1

I don't think so - I believe it works on all Rainbows.  Mine is a 100B,
but I don't remember seeing anywhere that it only ran on the 100B.

                                Jim O'Brien
				Department of Chemical Engineering
				Yale University
				2159 Yale Station
				New Haven, CT 06520, U.S.A.
				+1 203 432 4382 (days)
				+1 203 322 7222 (eves)

Return Addresses (both equivalent):

		OBRIEN%OBRIEN@YALEVMS				BITNET
		OBRIEN%OBRIEN@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU		Internet
                |--+-| |--+-| |-------+--------|
                   |      |           |
                   |      |           +--------| host network address
                   |      +--------| microvax node name
                   +---------| userid on microvax

OBRIEN%OBRIEN@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU ("James A. O'Brien 432-4382", 203) (02/28/89)

Please pardon my brain-damaged ramblings earlier about the Turbow-286 -
I don't know why, but I didn't recall the fact that Turbow only works with
100B motherboards.  Sure enough, there it is in the Turbow installation
guide.  Sorry!  Incidentally, RBDVI works with either 100A or 100B motherboards
. . . .!

                   +---------| userid on microvax