[comp.sys.dec.micro] Alan Vymetalik's posting

GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.BITNET (George A. Theall) (03/04/89)

In a previous post, Dave Shevett writes:
>In article <958@cs.rit.edu> iav1917%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (alan i. vymetalik) writes
>>
>>   They're not "HOT STUFF."  But, then
>>   again, I don't need HOT STUFF to wordprocess my articles and papers.
>>   I need a quality display and keyboard.  [...rantings deleted...].
>>   By the time I have $10,000 to spend on an '386 PC system, the
>
>Who ever said you need a 386 PC?  Most normal functions like WP and
>spreadsheets work great on a 1k 286 PC.  The video is excellent, and the

Perhaps you mean 1 Megabyte 286 PC? :-) Seriously, though, I see little
need to have an AT-class machine if you're doing most word processing
or editing. Most of the time the CPU is waiting for keyboard input.

>>   OK.  Here's a brief summary of some things available for the Rainbow.
>
>Brief?  Thank you for the listing, but did you have to show every product
>on the market?  I don't remember seeing anyone ask for it.

Excuse me, friend, but who appointed you moderator of this group? There
was an earlier message in which the original poster questioned whether
any software had been released for the Rainbow in the past 4 or 5
years. I believe Alan's intention was to show that this was just not
true. I for one look forward to Alan's posting since he is usually
more aware of happenings in the Rainbow world than I am. If it sounds
like a late-night commercial, that's fine by me _and_, I suspect,
by almost everyone else who still reads these messages.

>>         TurboPascal V5.0 (command-line version, only).
>
>What's the point?  Turbo is was desgigned as an integrating programming
>environment.  All the run-time libraries that are available for it are
>virtually worthless if the screen drivers don't work.  You should have
>stated that Turbo 3.0 runs on the machine fine.

  The point is that Turbo Pascal v4 and v5 are substantially different
from the earlier v3. Ever check out the programs which are being written
in Turbo Pascal today? What are they using? Several individuals have
written screen drivers for the Rainbow using Turbo Pascal v4, and have
possibly ported them to v5 by now.

>... but PLEASE, try to restrict the postings to something approaching
>reality?

Funny, but I thought Alan's posting did pretty much stick to reality.
True, there was some speculation about Windows v2.1 for the Rainbow.

  Sorry, fellow, but I actually enjoy Alan's postings. I see no reason
why you should try to censor him in this fashion. One wonders why you
even monitor this group given the sentiments expressed in your message.
But, hey, this is just my opinion, and I'm not the moderator of this
group either.

George

+------------------------------------------+---------------------------+
|   GTHEALL@PENNDRLS           (BITNET)    |   Dept. of Economics      |
|   GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU (INTERNET)  |   Univ. of Pennsylvania   |
|                                          |   3718 Locust Walk /6297  |
|   (215) 898-6741             (AT+TNet)   |   Philadelphia, PA. 19104 |
+------------------------------------------+---------------------------+

shevett@labii.UUCP (Dave Shevett) (03/07/89)

This is a quick 'after the fact' message to all those who sent me hate mail
and generally abused my posting...

The reason I was responding to Alan's posting was I disagreed with his
representation of the machine.  He seemed to be forcing the issue on anyone
who was reading that the Rainbow was the greatest thing this side of
silicon.  I disagreed with it, and I disagreed with how he presented his
claims.

I owned a Rainbow for quite some time, and due to the problems already put
forward, I got rid of it in favor of a PC, which cost the same as the Rain-
bow, running the same software without any modifications.  Those of you
still running Rainbow's, more power to ya!  I'm still running a PDP 11/34
here with RSTS!  It's outdated and generally a pain, but I still enjoy it.

To those I offended by the post, I sincerely apologize.  Perhaps I was a
bit brusque on a few points, but I said what I wanted to say.  Again, my
apologies.

| Dave Shevett   ~---------------------~    Labyrinth II BBS    |
| W. Trenton, NJ | Have you made your  | ...!mccc!labii!shevett |
| (609) 883-9352 | saving throw today? |  --------------------  |
|   1200/2400    ~---------------------~ 3b1ish and proud of it |