[comp.sys.dec.micro] Rainbow News, BOOT.EXE, and Comm Programs

GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.BITNET (George A. Theall) (03/06/89)

  In a separate message not posted to INFO-DEC-MICRO, Dave Wylie
wyliedc@phoenix.Princeton.EDU writes:

>    I called Carolyn about two weeks ago.  She's really falling
>behind schedule.  The June 88 issue (V5N4-6) was the last published.
>The "August" issue will be mailed soon, but not imminently.  I hope she
>can maintain some newsletter in the future, but she doesn't sound
>enthused.

Dave, and others, right after asking my question I spoke with someone
who said he had just received the Sept. '88 issue of Rainbow News.
I've been anxiously waiting by my mailbox ever since.

>    I've got no other answers for you, but I do have some questions
>of my own.  Have you, or anyone you know, been able to get BOOT.EXE to
>work with MS-DOS 3.10 (mine is from SSolns).  This is the program that
>allows one to reboot quickly between MS-DOS and CP/M partitions.  My
>version of the program is 2.4.  When run it an error message appears:
>"Error in EXE file".

  I don't have any experience with BOOT; perhaps others on INFO-DEC-MICRO
can help you answer this. My suspicion, though, is that BOOT is checking
which version of DOS it's running under and doesn't expect to find
a version 3. If this is the case, it should be a simple matter to
come up with a fix that would use DEBUG to change a JNE (probably)
instruction to a JB one. This would likely be found early on in
the program. But, note, I'd only try this i) after reading the docs
thoroughly to make sure there was no other problem and ii) after trying
to contact the original author to verify the problem.

>    Last year, I think you wrote about terminal emulation programs
>on the RB.  I'm trying to link my RB to an AT clone with a nullmodem.
>I'd like to set the baud rate at 19200, but I'm having trouble finding a
>program on the RB that can transfer files at that rate.  Do you have any
>clues about this?

  Once again, I plead ignorance and hope others on INFO-DEC-MICRO can
help out. Kermit v2.29 (4 Jul 86) supports 19200 baud and I've heard
on some AT's such baud rates are also supported. Should you try Kermit,
get rid of all TSR's on both machines and use 1 character checksums
plus anything else you can think of to make the transfers go faster.

>    Feel free to post these questions if you wish.  I have such
>troubles with our News program, that I find it easier to "reply" to a
>posting than to post on my own.
>
>Dave Wylie

  Ok, guys and gals, can anybody help Dave and I out of our ignorance?

George

+------------------------------------------+---------------------------+
|   GTHEALL@PENNDRLS           (BITNET)    |   Dept. of Economics      |
|   GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU (INTERNET)  |   Univ. of Pennsylvania   |
|                                          |   3718 Locust Walk /6297  |
|   (215) 898-6741             (AT+TNet)   |   Philadelphia, PA. 19104 |
+------------------------------------------+---------------------------+

rl1b+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Robert A. Locke") (03/07/89)

I haven't seen the Rainbow News since the June issue but then again,
I'm at college and my dad gave up on forwarding all the magazines.
Hopefully, it will be there by Spring Break (I even wrote an article
for it though it is probably very dated).

As to your problem with BOOT, I believe there is a new version
available for people with DOS 3.1.  Check out Mark Bornstein's bboard
at (617) 631-3304.  He can connect up to USR HST 9600 baud.  If not,
I'll look for it in the next couple of days though I'd have to check
it on my beta-test version of 3.1 (keep forgetting to send my check to
Suitable Solutions).

DO NOT USE THE RAINBOW AT 19.2Kbaud.  It won't work past 9600 baud.
In either send or receive, the Rainbow cannot handle the speed (though
it is documented that it can).  It supposedly has to do with the
communications chip that they are using (can't remember the number).

I do have MS-Kermit v2.32A available for uuencoded mail.  Just tell me
if you want both executables and documentation files.  This is the
version that came out in either January or February.  One warning:
they are archived using PKZip.  Request the beta test version of PKZip
from me if you would like.  Send the file requests to me personally at
any of the addresses below.

P.S.  As list maintainer:  I LIKE ALAN'S POSTS!  SO THERE!

P.P.S.  Sorry, I just felt like getting a little childish after
reading the debate... :-)

--Rob Locke
  List Maintainer
-------
Arpanet: rl1b+@andrew.cmu.edu
Bitnet : rl1b+%andrew.cmu.edu@CMCCVB
Fidonet: Rob Locke (1:129/15)
USNail : 5419 Normlee Place
         Pittsburgh, PA  15217
         USA

tjc@mbunix.mitre.org (Tom J. Colley) (03/09/89)

In article <kY4pH=y00YU4I6pXh1@andrew.cmu.edu> rl1b+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Robert A. Locke") writes:
>DO NOT USE THE RAINBOW AT 19.2Kbaud.  It won't work past 9600 baud.
>In either send or receive, the Rainbow cannot handle the speed (though
>it is documented that it can).  It supposedly has to do with the
>communications chip that they are using (can't remember the number).

Actually, I have used the Rainbow (100A and 100B) at 19200.  The chip is
a NEC 7201-C.  At this speed, you have roughly 2500 clock cycles between
received chars--on an 8088, about 425 average machine instructions, so a large
interrupt handler or polling loop will not be able to handle 19200.
This was done for a DataComm class--a small (4 computer) token ring network.
Included in one of our test setups was an IBM XT.  Our original intention was
to demo the thing (to the prof.) at 2400bps, but with time to play with it
we decided to try 19200, and had no problems whatsoever.  By the way, the
whole thing was written in Turbo Pascal--interrupt handler and all.
					Tom Colley