[comp.sys.dec.micro] Terminal Emulation Software wanted for DEC Rainbow

jeremy@misadel.oz (Jeremy Begg) (06/27/89)

I read this newsgroup for the first time a few minutes ago so it's likely that
my problem has already been solved by someone else:

One of our clients has some DEC Rainbows connected (until recently) to a
PDP-11/70, and now to a MicroVAX II.  The Rainbows were used in terminal
emulation mode (VT52) when necessary to do work on the PDP, but now they have to
work as terminals on the MicroVAX.  Unfortunately our software requires the use
of the full LK201 keyboard but the ANSI terminal emulation mode on the Rainbow
doesn't allow this.

Is there a terminal emulation program for the Rainbow which allows it to
function as a VT200- or VT300-series terminal?  Any help would be much
appreciated.

        Jeremy Begg

P.S. I see there is a file server for Rainbow-type programs.  How do I get
     access to it?  A list of available programs would be nice.

  | Management Information Systems,  |  E-Mail:  jeremy@misadel.oz    |
  | 125 Dew Street, Thebarton,       |   Phone:  +61 8 3524877 (work) |
  | South Australia 5031             |                                |

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (06/30/89)

In article <5509@misadel.oz>, jeremy@misadel.oz (Jeremy Begg) writes:
> Is there a terminal emulation program for the Rainbow which allows it to
> function as a VT200- or VT300-series terminal?  Any help would be much
> appreciated.

LCTERM is a pretty decent terminal emulation program for the DEC Rainbow.
The most recent version of the program is a commercial product (I think
it also runs on the IBM-PC), but some of the earlier versions were freeware
(technically not public domain because the author retained the copyright
but granted permission to copy provided no money changed hands).

It allows the use of the full keyboard (unlike the builtin terminal
emulation software).  It does not however -quite- emulate a VT220 - some
of the escape sequences for the 220 are not emulated properly.  It looks
sort of like a VT102 with an LK201 keyboard - which VMS is quite happy
with by the way.  In most practical usage you wouldn't notice that it
isn't quite a correct VT220/VT320 emulation - only if you do a lot of
terminal escape sequence hacking.

LCTERM supports KERMIT and XMODEM file transfer protocols as well.

There is also a KERMIT for the Rainbow but I haven't tried the latest
version - some of the earlier versions of KERMIT for the Rainbow were
pretty weak and although the latest version is supposed to be better I
just haven't had time to download it and see how well it worked.

The last address I have for LCTERM is:

	Larry Campbell
	73 Concord St
	Maynard, MA 01754

It's old and probably out of date ... I may be able to transmit a copy
of the latest free version of LCTERM if you can't get it any other way.

Bruce C. Wright

iav1917%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (alan i. vymetalik) (07/01/89)

In article <3053@rti.UUCP> bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) writes:
>In article <5509@misadel.oz>, jeremy@misadel.oz (Jeremy Begg) writes:
>> Is there a terminal emulation program for the Rainbow which allows it to
>> function as a VT200- or VT300-series terminal?  Any help would be much
>> appreciated.
>
>LCTERM is a pretty decent terminal emulation program for the DEC Rainbow.
>The most recent version of the program is a commercial product (I think
>it also runs on the IBM-PC), but some of the earlier versions were freeware
>(technically not public domain because the author retained the copyright
>but granted permission to copy provided no money changed hands).
>
>It allows the use of the full keyboard (unlike the builtin terminal
>emulation software).  It does not however -quite- emulate a VT220 - some
>of the escape sequences for the 220 are not emulated properly.  It looks
>sort of like a VT102 with an LK201 keyboard - which VMS is quite happy
>with by the way.  In most practical usage you wouldn't notice that it
>isn't quite a correct VT220/VT320 emulation - only if you do a lot of
>terminal escape sequence hacking.
>
>LCTERM supports KERMIT and XMODEM file transfer protocols as well.
>Bruce C. Wright

Ah, how soon we forget...  Or, maybe Bruce didn't know about...

   Stew Stryker and Ian Fraser's public domain VT220/VT241 emulator called
   TurboComm II is out there!.  The latest version I have on hand is dated
   6-19-87, though I think I have a later version in my pile of PD disks.

   TurboComm supports ASCII, Xmodem, and Telink file transfers.  It's
   slick piece of public domain software for the Rainbow.  Too bad a lot
   of the "commercial" Rainbow stuff looked and worked as well as LCTERM
   and TurboComm.

   If you can't dig this up on a Rainbow BBS somewhere (try the Hitch-
   Hiker's Guide at 1-315-589-7361 - it's a 67MB Rainbow 100B holding a
   ton of Rainbow software...), send me a diskette and I'll mail it
   back with the program and any other little tidbits that might fit
   (just specify what you're looking for).

   Enjoy,
   Alan

   Mail:  Alan I. Vymetalik, Prism Software Designs, 2244 East Avenue #5
          Rochester, New York, 14610-2518, USA    Phone:  (716)-271-8528
   uucp:  {seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917       BITNET:  aiv1917@ritvax

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (07/02/89)

In article <1184@cs.rit.edu>, iav1917%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (alan i. vymetalik) writes:
> In article <3053@rti.UUCP> bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) writes:
> >LCTERM supports KERMIT and XMODEM file transfer protocols as well.
> >Bruce C. Wright
>
> Ah, how soon we forget...  Or, maybe Bruce didn't know about...
>
>    Stew Stryker and Ian Fraser's public domain VT220/VT241 emulator called
>    TurboComm II is out there!.  The latest version I have on hand is dated
>    6-19-87, though I think I have a later version in my pile of PD disks.
>
>    TurboComm supports ASCII, Xmodem, and Telink file transfers.  It's
>    slick piece of public domain software for the Rainbow.  Too bad a lot
>    of the "commercial" Rainbow stuff looked and worked as well as LCTERM
>    and TurboComm.

Didn't know about - I've never heard of TurboComm II before.  How well
does it support the VT241?  I have an application where I would very much
like using the Rainbow as a graphics terminal but there aren't any commercial
programs out there (at least any more) and the latest version of Kermit still
doesn't support graphics for the Rainbow (I was even thinking about retro-
fitting the graphics module for the latest Kermit into the Rainbow, which
shouldn't be too horrible, but it's enough trouble that I'm not sure I'll
get to it any time soon).

I guess I'll still have to keep my old terminal emulation programs around
regardless - unfortunately a lot of the things I do require Kermit file
transfers;  it's the most likely file transfer protocol to find on some
random VAX or PDP-11.  Why did they leave it out?

I'll have to look it up - sounds like it might be interesting.

							Bruce C. Wright

campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) (07/02/89)

LC-Term V5.0 is available now for $99.95 (site licenses and quantity
discounts available, etc.) from:

	The Boston Software Works
	120 Fulton Street
	Boston MA 02109
	(617) 367-6846

V5.0 has the following features the last freeware version (3.something)
lacked:

	Vastly improved script language (see sample below)
	Multiple session support (one session each on comm port and
	  printer port, up to eight sessions with Omninet LAN)
	Completely revamped keyboard handler, allows any key (except
	  SETUP and HOLD SCREEN) to be mapped to anything, and distinguishes
	  key, ctrl-key, shift-key, and ctrl-shift-key
	Telephone dialer directory
	The IBM PC version also supports LAT and provides full VT220
	  emulation, including 132-column mode (Rainbow version emulates
	  VT220 keyboard with VT102 screen)

To give you an idea of the flavor of the new script language, here is the
script to dial a Hayes-compatible modem.  This script is invoked by the
telephone directory processor:

;LC-Term script to dial a Hayes-compatible modem.
;Input variables:
;
;	"Phone Number"		number to dial
;	"StatusRow"		row on which to display status string
;	"StatusColumn"		column at which to display status string
;	"StatusWidth"		width of status field
;
;Copyright (C) 1988 by The Boston Software Works, Inc.
;All Rights Reserved

screen-visible(0)		; don't show modem chat

display-erase(@StatusRow@, @StatusColumn@, @StatusWidth@)
display(@StatusRow@, @StatusColumn@, "initializing modem")

:RESET

send-string("A")
pause(100)			; pause 100 milliseconds (1/10th second)
send-string("T")
pause(100)
send-string("\r")		; send carriage return

case("ERROR", "RESET",		; if modem says ERROR, try again
     "OK",    "DIAL",		; if modem says OK, go dial phone
     5000)			; but if neither happens within 5 seconds,
				; then try sending AT<return> again

display-erase(@StatusRow@, @StatusColumn@, @StatusWidth@)
display(@StatusRow@, @StatusColumn@, "re-initializing modem");
goto("RESET")

:DIAL
pause(250)
send-string("ATS111=0\r")
pause(250)

display-erase(@StatusRow@, @StatusColumn@, @StatusWidth@)
display(@StatusRow@, @StatusColumn@, "dialing")

send-string("ATDT@Phone Number@\r")

;Interpret the modem's response

case("CONNECT",      "CONN",
     "BUSY",         "BUSY",
     "ERROR",        "ERROR",
     "NO CARRIER",   "ERROR",
     "OK",           "ERROR",
     40000)
display-erase(@StatusRow@, @StatusColumn@, @StatusWidth@)
display(@StatusRow@, @StatusColumn@, "timed out")
goto("FAILED")

:BUSY
display-erase(@StatusRow@, @StatusColumn@, @StatusWidth@)
display(@StatusRow@, @StatusColumn@, "busy")
goto("FAILED")

:ERROR
display-erase(@StatusRow@, @StatusColumn@, @StatusWidth@)
display(@StatusRow@, @StatusColumn@, "unknown error occurred")
goto("FAILED")

:FAILED
message("call failed")
hangup()
display-clear()
script-quit()

;Here on successful completion

:CONN
display-erase(@StatusRow@, @StatusColumn@, @StatusWidth@)
display(@StatusRow@, @StatusColumn@, "connected")
display-ansi("\007")			; ring bell
pause(250)
display-clear()				; clear screen

screen-visible(1)			; re-enable screen output

--
Larry Campbell                          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
campbell@bsw.com                        120 Fulton Street

iav1917%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (alan i. vymetalik) (07/03/89)

   Regarding TurboComm II...

   I forgot one little tidbit of important information!  TC II needs
   to have Rainbow ReGIS running for it to emulate a VT240.  When communi-
   cating at 1200/2400 baud, this isn't much of a problem.  However, a
   Rainbow running TC over ReGIS is a bit on the slow side for anything
   local.

   Sorry about the omission.

ben@vmsa.technion.ac.IL (Ben Pashkoff) (07/03/89)

In article <5509@misadel.oz>, jeremy@misadel.oz (Jeremy Begg) writes:
> I read this newsgroup for the first time a few minutes ago so it's likely that
> my problem has already been solved by someone else:
>
> Is there a terminal emulation program for the Rainbow which allows it to
> function as a VT200- or VT300-series terminal?  Any help would be much
> appreciated.

The latest Rainbow version of Kermit does what you ask for. It is available
on this lists' brother column -request.
Ben

jeremy@misadel.oz (Jeremy Begg) (07/10/89)

In article <1184@cs.rit.edu>, iav1917%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (alan i. vymetalik) writes:
>    Stew Stryker and Ian Fraser's public domain VT220/VT241 emulator called
>    TurboComm II is out there!.  The latest version I have on hand is dated
>    6-19-87, though I think I have a later version in my pile of PD disks.

Alan, thanks for your posting.  I don't suppose you can e-mail TurboComm to me?
I don't really fancy an ISD call to the USA :-)

        Jeremy Begg

  | Management Information Systems,  |  E-Mail:  jeremy@misadel.oz    |
  | 125 Dew Street, Thebarton,       |   Phone:  +61 8 3524877 (work) |
  | South Australia 5031             |                                |

P.S. I tried to reply direct but my mail bounced with: