[comp.sys.dec.micro] Compuserve-Internet Link

macmillm@ewc.bitnet (08/07/89)

In a previous message, George A. Theall <GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU>
writes:

> . . . Compuserve users can send mail to the Internet by prepending
> the string "'>INET:" to the e-mail address. For instance, Suitable
> Solutions could contact me as:
>
>              >INET:GTHEALL@Penndrls.Upenn.Edu
>
>    I have not tested this method before so I only know that in
> principle it should work. Further, I do not know whether Compuserve
> charges users to gateway mail in this fashion.

According to the latest wisdom on CompuServe, use of ">INET:" will
be phased out in favor of ">INTERNET:" inasmuch as INET conflicts
with something else on CIS.  For the moment, both work, but the
preferred form is >INTERNET:. . . .

CompuServe levies no additional charge for use of the gateway.
Users pay only the usual connect charges and communciations
surcharges.

>    So, it appears that Rainbow users on the nets
> (BITNET/Internet/uucp) and Compuserve can now be united. I'd like
> to propose that Suitable Solutions subscribe to INFO-DEC-MICRO.
> I believe their participation in this forum would be mutually
> mutually beneficial, though I don't know whether it would violate
> ARPA guidelines prohibiting use of BITNET/Internet for commercial
> gain. Additionally, we might investigate the possibility of
> gatewaying (sp?) some portion of the messages from INFO-DEC-MICRO to
> Compuserve's DEC PC forum and vice versa. Anyone know who to speak
> to about this?

I don't know whether this is feasible.  If you would like to pursue
it, the person to start with is probably Karl Kleinpaste at Ohio
State (karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu).  He is the persons
behind the installation and maintenance of the gateway.

Michael E. Macmillan
Bitnet     : macmillm@ewc
UUCP       : {ihnp4|uhccux|vortex}!islenet!mmac
CompuServe : 74206,577
GEnie      : macmillan