[comp.sys.dec.micro] Turbow 286

macmillm@ewc.bitnet (08/03/89)

Here's another query about the Turbow 286 board.  Is anyone
running one of these in a Rainbow that is also connected to an
RB-Link?  My first concern has been whether the Turbow board would
fit into the Rainbow box with the RB-Link board, memory board,
etc. installed.  There just doesn't seem to be much room left.

Julie Starr at Suitable Solutions told me she had talked to
someone using this combination but could not remember who.  So, I
ask, is anybody doing it?  Are you running it with the original
RB-Link or the 286 version?  Aside from the physical fit, are
there any operational problems?

Incidentally, it is now possible to send messages to Suitable
Solutions through a new CompuServe-internet link.  The SS
principals are regulars on CIS and provide vendor support through
the DEC PC SIG there.  They can be addressed as
76666.3003@CompuServe.com.  Whether they can figure out how to
reply to you may be another matter (in the end, nothing beats a
simple phone call).

Michael E. Macmillan
Bitnet     : macmillm@ewc
UUCP       : {ihnp4|uhccux|vortex}!islenet!mmac
CompuServe : 74206,577
GEnie      : macmillan

GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU (George A. Theall) (08/07/89)

From: <@vma.cc.cmu.edu:macmillm@ewc.bitnet>
>Incidentally, it is now possible to send messages to Suitable
>Solutions through a new CompuServe-internet link.  The SS
>principals are regulars on CIS and provide vendor support through
>the DEC PC SIG there.  They can be addressed as
>76666.3003@CompuServe.com.  Whether they can figure out how to
>reply to you may be another matter (in the end, nothing beats a
>simple phone call).

    A recent thread of discussion on INFO-NETS concerned e-mail access
to Compu$erve. The conclusions were:

    - Compuserve mailboxes can be addressed from the Internet by
    changing the comma to a period and appending the domain address.
    Thus, to send mail to Suitable Solutions on Compuserve, use:

              76666.3003@Compuserve.Com

    (see the header at the top of this message.)

    - Compuserve users can send mail to the Internet by prepending
    the string "'>INET:" to the e-mail address. For instance, Suitable
    Solutions could contact me as:

              >INET:GTHEALL@Penndrls.Upenn.Edu

    I have not tested this method before so I only know that in
principle it should work. Further, I do not know whether Compuserve
charges users to gateway mail in this fashion.

    So, it appears that Rainbow users on the nets (BITNET/Internet/uucp)
and Compuserve can now be united. I'd like to propose that Suitable
Solutions subscribe to INFO-DEC-MICRO. I believe their participation
in this forum would be mutually beneficial, though I don't know whether
it would violate ARPA guidelines prohibiting use of BITNET/Internet for
commercial gain. Additionally, we might investigate the possibility of
gatewaying (sp?) some portion of the messages from INFO-DEC-MICRO to
Compuserve's DEC PC forum and vice versa. Anyone know who to speak to
about this?

George

|   GTHEALL@PENNDRLS           (BITNET)    |   Dept. of Economics      |
|   GTHEALL@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU (INTERNET)  |   Univ. of Pennsylvania   |
|                                          |   3718 Locust Walk /6297  |
|   (215) 898-3419             (AT+TNet)   |   Philadelphia, PA. 19104 |