[comp.sys.dec.micro] Borland Languages Update

iav1917%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (alan i. vymetalik) (08/17/89)

In article <Added.YYuAFxq00UkTMZJk9Y@andrew.cmu.edu> MGB@STETSON.BITNET writes:

>Has anyone tried this out on a rainbow ? Will it run ?
>Will it run patched ? Will it run under code blue ?
>
>-mgb
>
>UUCP : ...uflorida!ki4pv!samsara!mgb
>BITNET : mgb@stetson

   The scoop on Turbo Pascal?  Well, read on!

   Here's MY personal experiences with Borland's various programming
   languages and utilities.  I don't have the latest versions of all
   the languages, nor do I have Turbo Prolog.  So, if anyone knows if
   Turbo Prolog works, please add it to the list.

   First, the system:

      - Rainbow 100+ w/ 12Mhz Turbow 80286, 33MB hard disk, 896K RAM,
          IBM Character Set EPROM (CGROM) from Suitable Solutions
      - Suitable Solutions MS-DOS 3.10B with Code Blue V2.01 updates
      - Code Blue V2.01 with Suitable's latest Code Blue patches
          (includes bug fixes and updates to read the new CGROM)

   What this means is if it doesn't run with the latest stuff, it's
   not going to run!

   Now, the list:

      Turbo Pascal V5.5:
         Command Line version:  runs without Code Blue, without patches
         Interactive Development Environment (IDE): runs with the above
            Code Blue set-up

      Turbo C V2.0:
         Command Line version: Does not run at all.  There is a patch
             that supposedly makes it work.  (I have the patches, just
             haven't applied it yet.)
         IDE: runs with the above Code Blue set-up

      Turbo Basic V1.0:
         Command line version: not available
         IDE: does not run, even with the above set-up

      Turbo Assembler V1.5:
         Command line version: Does not run at all.  The patches for
             Turbo C should work in a similar fashion.
         IDE:  Not available

      Turbo Debugger V1.5:
         Command line version:  not available
         IDE:  Does not run at all.  I'm looking into a patch method.
         (The TDINST program runs just fine with the Code Blue set-up,
         though.)

      Turbo Prolog:
         My guess:  Doesn't run, whatsoever...  Pretty good odds, hmm?

   The reason that many of the versions do not work is that Borland does
   some fooling around with interrupt 18 for no real apparent reason
   (except to fulfill the 'runs on IBM PCs or 100% compatibles'
   advertising).  Strangely, Turbo Pascal is the only command line language
   that runs unassisted by Code Blue.  I have to wonder at this, and I
   can only guess that it's because it's Borland's first language and
   the guy who developed it still works for Borland AND Version 1.0 of
   Turbo Pascal was created on the Rainbow.  Nostalgia's sake, I suppose.

   Any additions to the list?

   Alan

   Mail:  Alan I. Vymetalik, Prism Software Designs, 2244 East Avenue #5
          Rochester, New York, 14610-2518, USA    Phone:  (716)-271-8528
   uucp:  {seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917